General Area in South End>Question Details

Oscar, Home Buyer in Tacoma, WA

How do the different neighborhoods of Tacoma compare?

Asked by Oscar, Tacoma, WA Wed Sep 1, 2010

Answers

13
It all depends on what you're looking for. It's best to have your agent show you all available properties that meet your specific requirements, and then you can select which area you like best. :) Here's a quick link to the City of Tacoma site, which has all kinds of great information. http://www.cityoftacoma.org/ If my team and I can be of help, please let me know. Best wishes on your home search!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Sep 17, 2010
The Tacoma north has different characterestics. You find some homes west of N Pearl, especially around Westgate (N 26th & Pearl) and up towards Point Defiance Park (such as those around Frank Toby Retirement Home at N Vassault & 51st) more affordable and newer (tract homes) then some of those down and around the Proctor Business District (N 26th & N Proctor). Those neighborhoods are quieter too. I lived north of Westgate and now just north of 6th Ave (in the heart of 6th Ave district) and I be happy to show you around.
The (once) notorious hilltop area (part of downtown) can be on the verge of gentrification over the long term too. The jury seems to be out on that but there has been townhomes and new apartments built around 2006 (like along S Yakima between S26th (@ Goodwill) and S 12th (@ Bates) before the economy crashed and the town homes had sold for around the low $300s then but now they're at at the low $200s some of these have some awesome views of the tideflats & the Tacoma dome. Remember the UW Tacoma is the anchor and that's just down at the bottom of the hill from hilltop. The gentrification started in the 6th Ave district (heart around 6th Ave & Pine) and around Tacoma General Hospital & Wright Park. The 6th Ave District everybody seems to be raving about was once part of the notorious hilltop neighborhoods during the 1980s-90s when hilltop was even worst than it is now. As Faye Kirby wrote, "there are also some perfectly nice little enclaves tucked into the middle of these areas that might be a good bargain for the less timid."
Here is a link where you can get school and community information reports and compare them side by side.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 7, 2010
Tacoma has a lot of variety, and your personal wish list will help define the desirability of each of the areas.

Prices & demand show the North End's Proctor district as being one of the most desirable locations, but that doesn't mean it's the only "good" place to live... There are some great locations in Central and South Tacoma that can give you good accessibility to shopping, restaurants, the freeway, etc. And if you wanted a historic home for a reasonable price I would certainly broaden your search to include these locations. Your architectural preferences will inevitably guide you... if you want to live in a rambler or new construction, there are particular areas that are going to offer you those options.

I agree with the others about doing your own research (or ask an agent to give you an overview if you're not comfortable with the area). But don't rule out neighborhoods just on word of mouth - see for yourself. Do visits at different times of the day and on the weekends. Take a walk and talk to the neighbors. Go on the City of Tacoma's crime website and do the hard research http://(www.tacomacrime.org). The variety and diversity is what makes Tacoma a great place to live -- there is something for everyone!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 6, 2010
I believe the best way to answer this is to help you answer the question for yourself. FInd a good agent, ask him or her to preview homes and find the top 3 best values (within your price, condition, size parameters) in several areas of town then go on a little tour of those homes. If you see something you like, then spend some time in the surrounding areas and see if it works for you!
Tacoma is really growing, these days. The downtown area is booming, with many new condos, restaurants, and night spots. There is a lot of new development surrounding the Tacoma campus of the University of Washington, including the Museum of Glass and a new trolley/transit system to move people around. If you want a condo, go downtown.

6th Avenue is starting to boom now, too, east of Union. It's technically on the edge of "Hilltop" area, but it's vibrant if you're young. An apartment or townhouse in the area should be affordable. And on the North side of the street to the water you start to get into the "Old Town" area, so there's plenty of room for variety in the area.

More traditional areas of the town continue to be popular, such as the North End, from Proctor into "Old Town." These neighborhoods would include larger, older houses, and corner hangouts at the intersections of major arterials. There are some very nice neighborhoods in the West side of town, along the water, around the Narrows, all the way to say, 12th and Stevens, which is about where you start to transition into the Central District.

The Central and South Districts have some pretty bad neighborhoods, but there are also some perfectly nice little enclaves tucked into the middle of these areas that might be a good bargain for the less timid.

0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 5, 2010
Hi, Oscar, Tacoma is really no different than any other city. We have some very affordable areas, some up and coming areas, and some very beautiful areas. It really all depends on what your needs are. . I would love to sit down with you and discuss your needs and dreams in the purchase of a new home. I have worked in the area for the past 35 years and have a pretty good good feel for the community. Please check out my web page and feel free to call at anytime. Plan on working this weekend if you plan on looking
Web Reference: http://www.donnamfraser.com
Here is a link you can use to compare schools, shopping and demographics. Just click on the community reports icon and enter the zip codes.
Generally the North End of Tacoma has some of the 'better' neighborhoods. I would recommend driving some of the different areas, East Side, South etc., to see what works for you. Also find out what your price range is which may determine what area you can afford. I know of some great First Time Homebuyer down payment assistant programs availble in the Tacoma city limits and Pierce County. Let me know if I can help more. Thanks
Hi Oscar,
I am a native of the area and can give you lots of info! Tacoma is a very accessable place, and you can get from the north end to the south in a few short minutes. Give me a call and we can talk specifics!
Oscar,
It really depends on what is important to you. Aaron may have a good resource for you and you can also work with an agent who both works and lives in some of the area. I've never lived in Tacoma, so I wouldn't be your best resource but if you were considering neighborhoods on the eastside of Seattle, I could tell you lots.
If you need a referral to a native Tacoma agent, let me know.
I've heard the North end is best, but you'll want to do some research. Start here: http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/wa/tacoma/.