General Area in Portland>Question Details

Hamm, Other/Just Looking in Portland, OR

How do I file a complaint against a realtor using a fake testimonial with my name attached to it?

Asked by Hamm, Portland, OR Sat Dec 13, 2008

I wrote a testimonial for my realtor. I realtor that I don't even know then copied the letter from the internet and has it posted to her website with my name attached to the letter. I want it removed because I don't know this other realtor, have never used her services, and is misrepresenting my name and letter as her own.

Answers

5
Wow Hamm! It must've been an impressive letter! You've gotten some good advice here. I am a Principal Broker (and oversee several agents). As a responsible member of the real estate community, I would personally welcome such a complaint and would want to know so I could make sure this NEVER happened again. It's important for our profession and the agents we support that we make perfectly clear this behavior is entirely unacceptable. If I were you, Hamm, I would take all the steps listed in these notes. Anger and retribution never solve the problem, but systematic responses can alleviate. I would contact the agent AND her Principal Broker as well as the state real estate agency. I am very sorry this happened to you.
Janeese Jackson, Principal Broker
Real Estate Resource
503-709-0802
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 14, 2008
Hi Hamm, ......hard to believe...but yes, I believe it.

It should really be very simple. Call the agent, and ask them to remove it. Give them 5 days to do so, then write a letter to the Agent, with copies to their managing broker at their office.

I bet it goes away, "quickly".

Im not sure there is any need to think about a suit. as reference below. There has been no real "HARM" upon which to levy any kind of reward. But, it certainly is not right, and it would probably fall under a violation of a code of ethics.

make a phone call, then a follow up letter, ...im sure its taken care of
I would start by finding the Principal broker of the agent and explaining the situation. If that doesn't fix the issue go to this link: http://www.oregon.gov/REA/complaint.shtml.

Web Reference: http://www.InvestInPDX.com
Notify her and her Principal Broker if this mis-use, That is a serious violation of the Realtors code of Ethics and she should be sued for false advertising.

God scum like that just make me sick. There are a few of us that play it straight and look what happens when we try and help.

Oh my gosh that is frustrating.

You can sue her but it is not worth it. Send a letter and email to her and her Broker and to the Real Estate Commission and if you are really PO than there are sites where you can rate and agent and give them a scathing report.

Sorry Hamm. I am in my 24th year and this is a horrible market but to resort to that is beyond low.

Best wishes to you.

Dirk Knudsen
Re\Max Hall of Fame
Web Reference: http://www.theknudsens.com
Contact the local board of realtors, any local broker will have the number.