General Area in Anaheim>Question Details

Morgan Green, Home Owner in Anaheim, CA

How do I evict a tenant who drinks and is argumentative and bothers my household? Can I get her out immeadiatly? (She has made threats and is profane)

Asked by Morgan Green, Anaheim, CA Wed Sep 7, 2011

Help the community by answering this question:


Emily S. Knell’s answer
If she's on mo/mo you can give her 30 days notice to move. I think by law, you still need to give her the full 30 days to move out & you don't even have cite it's because of her behavior, just tell her that you want the unit back to let one of your family members live there. I foresee that if you were to tell her that you'd prefer to have a tenant who will accept a longer lease term agrmt that she'd just say, "Fine, I'll sign a longer lease term if that's what you want". If she's late on paying you rent, you can give her 3 days notice to pay or quit.

I am not an attorney, I do advise you to double check my answer with a real estate attorney. If you'd like to talk to me some more about this or get a couple of referrals to RE attorneys, please email me directly, as i don't look back on this same Trulia thread for answers after mine.
562-430-3053 c
Realtor Since 1996
Main Street Realtors
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 8, 2011
The first thing that you should do is file a police report and find out if a restraining order is possible. Beyond that I would need to know more about the lease. Is it month-to month or long term? Below is a link to find a pretty good explanation of the process.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 8, 2011
She rents month to month. I went last night to the police and they said that I didn't need a police report but I could just call them as needed when she gets bad. It was really bad last night as she got drunker and drunker. I have other tenants and no one got to sleep, She thinks I am victimizing her to ask her to leave and vows to get revenge.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 8, 2011
Eviction can be a messy, time consuming and costly process. Save yourself a lot of time and agony.

Try these links:

Read this first:

Then check some of these out.…

Good luck.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 8, 2011
Hi Morgan.

Tou should call rh Fair Housing council who handles all the questions for tenants and landlords at. 714-569-0823 for Orange County. Let me know how things go. Talk to you soon
Ingrid Ski Realtor.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 8, 2011
If the tenant is renting a room or space in the house that you live in, then you should file a police report for the threats and harassment. With that you should be able to file for a restraining order, which if granted would force the tenant to leave the residence.
Good luck
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 8, 2011
If you own the home and she is a tenant, you have the right to evict.

IS she living in your own home, or is this a unit you rent out.

Refer you your state eviction laws on or refer to a local legal aide group.
Web Reference:
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 8, 2011
As the non-owner of the building going the eviction route is likely not a valid option. But as a citizen you do have rights that include a safe, secure, and non-threatening environment. There are two obvious avenues for you.

First, reporting any threats, violence, or disruptions to the police should be an immediate consideration. Secondly, as a renter it is reasonable to expect that living conditions would be reasonable. It would seem that your landlord should be able to advocate for you and the other tenants. Sometimes it's best to present your concerns as a group a opposed to as an individual. Problems presented as a group often get quicker attention.

Good luck,

0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 8, 2011
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2015 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer