General Area in Anaheim>Question Details

Sean, Home Buyer in Anaheim, CA

How do I evict a bad roommate that is not on the lease?

Asked by Sean, Anaheim, CA Fri Aug 17, 2007

My name is Sean. I live in Anaheim ,CA. I am living in a house that I rent with four of my friends. We found this house together, and to aleviate the cost, one of our roommates asked if a friend of his wanted to move into the spare room. We agreed, under the stipulation that if it was not working out, we would ask him to leave. They agreed. Long story short, it is not working out. He is not onthe lease. we all agree we want him out. He is unwilling to go of his own will. Do I need to ask the Landlord to evict him, or can we have the police come tothe house and remove him? I would prefer we not invole the landlord, but I am wondeing if that is an option. Please advise. Thank you.

Answers

3
Sean,
Sounds like you and your buddies are in a pickle. If you have indeed created a sublease, you can end the lease by going through the proper channels. I would consult a lawyer and get help creating the documents necessary to perform the eviction. On an eviction, it is often necessary to involve the police. You can check out legal advise via web. Google for a web site in your area!
Web Reference: http://carriecrowell.com
Sean - Here's another web link that contains must-read material regarding your situation...
Vicki Masell…, Real Estate Pro in Duluth, GA
Bummer, Sean. Each state has varying laws and requirements for evicting a tenant. It sounds as if you have created a sub-lease arrangement (albeit verbal and not written) by inviting this individual to live in your home. A tenancy-at-will or tenancy-at-sufferance may be in effect. The process of eviction is a touchy subject riddled with all sorts of legalities and requires proper notice; therefore, it is best that you seek the advice of an attorney. Most states have online resources which may be of benefit to you. One such helpful link is included below. Try Goggling "CA Tenant Landlord Counseling" and you may be able to find a weath of information and free resources to guide you. Good luck - Ted