Amanda, Other/Just Looking in Saint Petersburg, FL

How can I find out who built our home @ 336 12th Avenue NE in Saint Petersburg,Fl 33701?

Asked by Amanda, Saint Petersburg, FL Wed May 6, 2009

Seeking history on this house...original builder name especially. First family to live here. Any deaths in the home, etc... Just pertinent background info. on this circa 1910 home. Or how to find it myself.

Answers

4
Researching the history of your home can be a great and fun expereince for you and your family. A good place to start is the local librarys main branch. You can look through phone books and city directories and newspaper archives to see obits on any prior residents. You can also look at the newspaper index to see if your address ever made the paper. I found a great article about a historic home that I lived that described exactly how it looked in 1928 in a homes and gardens article in the paper. It even had a photo. You can also visit the St. Petersburg historical museum and see if they have any photos in their archive as well. Look up the property cards (available on line at the citys site). You can see all the permits ever pulled on the home and that will have the owner names on it. You can then cross reference those names to the newspaper index at the main library to learn about the prior owners.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Dec 31, 2009
Amanda,

If the house has ever been rented, it's nearly impossible to determine if anyone ever died in the house. You could interview the neighbors...

Or if you're concerned about the history of a house, you may be better off with a brand new house that no one has ever lived in.

Not sure why the original builder name is important because you absolutely should hire a well qualifiied home inspector to verify the condition of the house. A house that old may have been modified considerably since it was originally built. You can check permit records to see when the roof was replaced and any other changes that required permits.

Hope this helps.

Alma
Alma Rose Kee, P.A.
Charles Rutenberg Realty, Inc.
813.244.9898
http://www.SoldOnTampa.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 4, 2009
Question to Martha Vasquez: Aren't the Florida property deeds online? Where I live (most of) the counties are accessible through the Secretary of State's website (i.e. there are links to the county Registry of Deeds), for free.
Check the court house for the original deed. You will have to do it in person but you can track owners from there. To determine if there was a death, old death cetificates of past owners may give you a clue.

Martha
Realty Resources
Web Reference: http://MarthaVasquez.com