General Area in New York>Question Details

Troy Snowbar…, Renter in 10027

How can I buy or rent without a job?

Asked by Troy Snowbarger, 10027 Fri Apr 15, 2011

I am moving from Cambodia to New York. I have some cash in savings, but I don't have a job yet. Most sellers and landlords in NYC require applicants to have a steady source of income. It will take me some time to find a job. Are there any alternatives?

Answers

5
Honestly, the best thing to do in your situation is to use a USA guarantor if you have one. If you do not have one, perhaps consider paying 6 months to a 1 year upfront. I've found housing for unemployed clients before with ease. You just have to be prepared for what the landlord may ask for. Feel free to give me a call if you have any questions as to how to go about this.

Lancelot Watson-Taffe
347-935-0545
lancetaffe@gmail.com
Forget the buying part of the process. Look for temporary housing or an assistance organization to help you for the short term
You're facing a dilemma that many contractors and self-employed people deal with all of the time, so you're certainly not alone. A month-to-month lease might be a good option, and you might want to consider staying in an extended stay hotel/motel as another alternative. I found the latter option to be cheaper when I moved awhile ago.

A third option--provided you're willing to be flexible and creative--is for you to buy a multifamily property with creative financing. If structured properly, then that deal should generate enough cash-flow for you to cover the mortgage and expenses.
If you have enough money saved up to pay at least 6months of the lease upfront some landlords may consider you. You will also have to have good credit. If not, you will need a cosigner.
Find somebody to cosign for you or a particular that understand your situation. Maybe offer a larger deposit to make the people at ease. Hurry to find a job. find a month to month rental......