General Area in Philadelphia>Question Details

Maxlund, Home Owner in Philadelphia, PA

How big a problem is building on wetland in Bucks County?

Asked by Maxlund, Philadelphia, PA Wed Jan 25, 2012

I want to build a house on a plot of land I own in Bucks County, but some of the homes nearby have had problems with water getting into the basement. Is this a known problem in the area? If so, is there a workaround?

Answers

2
Building a waterproof basement is easy. I've done it and know how. The key is having enough slope on your land to allow a drain to flow from below your basement to an above ground exit from the drain pipe.

However, this is by far your smallest problem. The big problem is this: If your land is a federally designated wetland, the legal hurdles in building there are a nightmare, and probably insurmountable. You can see the wetlands maps at the office od the Bucks County Planning Commission at The Almshouse, Neshaminy Manor Center, 1260 Almshouse Road, Doylestown, Pennsylvania 18901
It depends where exactly your plot of land is. However, you can always take additional water prevention steps; such as, installing multiple sump pumps, french drain, floating slab, waterproofing your basement, etc.