General Area in Los Angeles>Question Details

E, Home Owner in San Francisco, CA

How Bike Friendly Is LA?

Asked by E, San Francisco, CA Mon May 7, 2012

A friend recently told me that LA was making moves to be more bike friendly. Is that true / even possible?

Answers

10
It is true that LA is becoming more Bike friendly by the day. More accomadations are being made on mass transit for bikes to be brought along. Many more miles of Bike lanes are being installed throughout the city including downtown. Dedicated bike baths have been put in alongside the LA River route. There is a new service in the works which will allow short term rentals of bicycles at 100's of locations thruout the city to get from one point to another.

And there are events being planned to promote the usage of bicycles several times during the year. Check out my Blog posting about CicLAvia at http://blairthompson.com/blog/?p=287

With the amazing weather we have it would be a waste to not take adavantage of the 2 wheeled form of eco transportation
While steps are being taken to make Los Angeles more bike-friendly, it's still quite dangerous. LA drivers are notoriously wacky and I've witnessed two accidents and several almost-accidents myself. Even with bike lanes, Los Angeles drivers don't take a second look before making turns and sometimes cyclists pay the price.

I grew up in Portland which is extremely bike-friendly but Portland drivers are also quite calm... so that's my comparison.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue May 8, 2012
Dear E.
We do have extensive bike paths in Los Angeles, that run along the Los Angeles River. Unfortunately we also have heavy traffic on most major streets, so care is certainly required to ride a bike in Los Angeles.
A good site to investigate the Bike paths in Los Angeles is http://www.labikepaths.com
With the building and extension of more Rapid Transit in Los Angeles, we are hoping for a more Bike Friendly L.A.!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue May 8, 2012
Yes, that is true! Take a look at the following article, http://bikinginla.wordpress.com/2011/09/14/los-angeles-orang…

..." O.C. and L.A. have made the League of American Bicyclists list of Bike Friendly Cities, if only just barely. Both were named Honorable Mention, a step below the Bronze designation, in recognition of the steps each has made

Los Angeles makes its claim on the basis of the new-found support from City Hall that has resulted in a widely praised new bike plan — which is just starting to result in new paint on the street — as well as the groundbreaking bicyclists’ anti-harassment ordinance.".....
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon May 7, 2012
Have there been an increase in bicycle accidents along with the increase in bicycles? Some areas of the country are great and some still need a little help it seems. http://www.accidentinjurylawyer.com/consumerguide/bicycle-ac…
If your looking for bike friendly cities, take a look at Long Beach, they have taken serious steps to try and make Long Beach the most bike friendly city in California. Lots of bike paths and trails leading all around the city, they have even restructured some of the streets in the downtown area to accommodate special bike lanes that have their own traffic signals.
Yes, cities within Los Angeles are working towards making/creating bike paths for bikers. However, not all areas of Los Angeles are marked for bikers. With this being said, I bike myself and as always you have to be aware of your surroundings and be on the defensive. I was on a neighborhood council in the S.F. Valley and this was an issue that was raised several times by our constituents.
Even with bike paths, drivers sometimes are not paying attention. On another note, there are many great trails if you bike off road.

Yeprem P. Davoodian
Hi E,

I grew up in Studio City and can remember riding my bike to friends' houses, the local shopping mall (Westfield), the library and to school. However, because LA is connected by canyons and freeways, I was quite limited in places I could bike to based on proximity and hills.

Happy Biking,
Ali, Community Manager
Hi E:

Los Angeles is extremely bike friendly! There are bike routes, buses with bike racks, bike paths that run from the downtown are to the beach and throughout Southern California.

Make sure you wear a bike helmet. Have fun and happy riding!

Kat Becker, Prudential California Realty
katbecker@prula.com
It is very location specific. Certain areas have marked bike lanes or trails and others not. Unfortunately some drivers just aren't aware - especially in canyon areas.