General Area in Denver>Question Details

Ernie's Gutt…, Other/Just Looking in Denver, CO

Home Improvement Contractor has a Question

Asked by Ernie's Gutter, Denver, CO Thu Apr 19, 2012

As a Real estate agent Exactly what might you need to look at from a Home Improvement Contractor to assist you with Your business ?

Answers

9
Appending to my first answer ...

General liability insurance is important, too. You also should make sure your license is current with the city where you do most of your work.
Hello Ernie
My back round is in commercial and residential construction and I have also done many re-hab projects. If i where to refer you to a client there are some musts that have to happen.

1) Licensed & Insured
2) I have to have references & see jobs that you have completed. Including a line item budget and completion dates Etc.
3) Resume
4) How much of your work do you sub out?
5) Lien waivers signed by everyone.
6) Are you a green contractor and up to date with codes?
7) Do you present well to clients.

The people that work for me have a long history so tell me who are currently working with.
Good Luck
Hello Ernie:
I'm assuming you want a continuing business relationship - not just a job.

Upfront, I work with several builders and I have a long history of having worked for building contractors.

There are these important things to cover: In addition to seeing a contractor's license and phone numbers for references, I want to know:
1) you have worker's comp insurance
2) a home I can tour (in various stages of construction and the finished project)
3) if you have a list of skills you perform and if subcontractors will perform work (and are they also licensed, insured, etc.)

For a continuing relationship, I want to know if you're a green builder. Longmont is one of the first municipalities in Colorado to enforce the National Green Building Standard, which takes into account energy efficiency, water efficiency, home exterior and climate- appropriate landscaping. If you're a green builder, that is in your favor.

I've worked for a number of builders. And this might be more important than anything else. How well do you communicate?

Susan Alvarez
PML property movers
of Longmont
720.810.0683
bouldersuz@gmail.com
General liability insurance is a must, too.
Flag Fri Apr 20, 2012
Hi Ernie! All the mentioned below items are super important. I want to add one thing - willingness to help. A lot of times, there are small odd jobs that nobody wants to do, because it may not be worth your time. I worked with several contractors who just disappeared, because of that. Down the road they missed out on larger projects, because of that. Right now, for example, I am looking for someone to patch and texture a small area of water damage on the ceiling in a client's house. I am anticipating making a bunch of phone calls and hearing "I'll call you back" from dry wall guys.. : (
Give me your phone number or come to my Site http://www.erniesgutter.com
Flag Sun Apr 22, 2012
Ernie
Does quality work in the time frame quoted and within reasonable estimated price quoted. A Home Improvement Contractor who can communicated and work with Home Owner and me.

Jack Austin, Broker Associate
RE/MAX Alliance - Boulder
4770 Baseline Road Suite 110
Boulder, Co 80303
720 323 2566
Thank you
Flag Sun Apr 22, 2012
Home improvement is extremely important in today's market. Homes that are updated and in good condition sell very fast -- sometimes in a matter of days. The key, however, is making good decision when you renovate; in other words, spending money wisely on changes that will return a high ROI. If you can "affordably" update a bathroom or kitchen, the return will typically at least double the investment. Julie Montgomery, RE/MAX Masters, Inc., http://www.jmontgomery.com
thanks
Flag Sun Apr 22, 2012
Hi Ernie-

Various things depending on the trade, but honestly, on time and on budget are critical components to start. Are you asking about a specific trade, I might be able to elaborate more?

Let me know.

Debbie Taylor, CRS, Realtor
http://www.DebbieTaylorRealty.com
Resource Realty Group, LLC
303-589-6692
Thank you good tip
Flag Sun Apr 22, 2012
Your license, quality of work, testimonials as well as phone #'s from previous clients.
Hi Ernie,

I am not sure I understand your question. But in general, I look for honest and professional contractors who will listen to the needs and wants of the client. Good communicators and skilled at the services they offer without gouging the client for unnecessary costs. Time sensitive since often there are often times when time is of the essence on a home project.

Robert McGuire
Realtor/Consultant
Your Castle Real Estate
1776 S. Jackson St. #412
Denver CO 80210
Direct – 303-669-1246
http://www.theRobertMcGuire.com
Thanks much
Flag Sun Apr 22, 2012