General Area in Franklin>Question Details

Egp4, Home Buyer in Northbridge, MA

Hi there, I'm considering purchasing a home in Franklin, MA as I've heard great things about the town. As with all towns there are some

Asked by Egp4, Northbridge, MA Fri Jan 22, 2010

great areas, some okay areas and some not-so-great areas. I'm wondering if someone could shed some light on which areas of town are hot and which ones to watch out for (if any). Much appreciated!!!! :)

Answers

6
My name is Kerry Harkins, Broker Owner of Harkins Realty Group, Inc. I moved into Franklin 3 1/2 years ago and find it a wonderful town to live in. I have yet to find an area I do not like. That said, if you need to be close to the highway, then you should look in the area near Exit 16 or 17 on 495. Part of Franklin borders Medway and if you are in Northwest Franklin, you will be further from direct highway access. On the other side, if you live on hte south westside, you will border Wrentham and Bellingham. Both nice areas, but obviously the further you live from 495, then the access isn't as good. I would be pleased to talk to you further about your needs and I'd love to help you. Please feel free to call me directly on my Cell at 508-868-5306. Email: kerry@harkinsrealtygroup.com.
Kerry
Why not do some of your own homework first--what you may consider great or not so great may not be the case for someone else--opinions are personal--why not drive through the areas more than once and at different times of day, check out all that is important to you and see if your comfort level can be reached and choose the area where you get the most sense of belonging--then take it from there--you'll thank yourself later.
While this is great advice, its also something I'm sure he plans to do. It is nice when posters answer the question directly.
Flag Tue Jul 10, 2012
Franklin is a great town to call home. There are no bad areas! However, Franklin is comprised of 5 elementary school districts, multiple neighborhoods and housing developments, each offering something unique and different. In addition, the downtown area is host to Dean College and the Commuter Rail Station that travels into Boston. It is important to hire an experienced Real Estate professional who knows the town and will assist you in making an informed decision. Good luck! Henry Valati
Hello Eqp4- You have to ask specific questions, and only then can a realtor give you some specific answers. The laws are very strict.
An agent cannot tell you or steer you into an "good" area. A realtor cannot make the decision of what a good area is in general, or even what a good area might be for you.
Give a realtor 5-10 things that are looking for (close to a park, etc...) and then the realtor can come back with some choices for you to look at.
The best thing is always to do driveby's of the properties- in different times of day and maybe also on a weekend vs a weekday. You'll get a better feel for the neighborhood. Often times a better feel than what some realtors could tell you.
You'll also see if there are areas that are foreclosed/ boarded up, etc. Those can be tough "neighbors".
If I can be of any help, please let me know. Thanks, and good luck,

Ken L.
Well there are many things to consider when deciding which town is the right one including property values, quality school systems, tax rates, commute time and home prices. As a long time Franklin Realtor and resident who raised three kids (and a few dogs,too!), I can safely fill you in on the issues of the town... Overall, there is really no BAD part of town. All of the schools teach relatively the same curriculum despite what you may read online regarding one school is superior to another. One of the schools is newer but that does not mean the quality of the education is better...
The town of Franklin has alot going for it and many people choose it over other towns because the homes and the tax rates are lower than many other metrowest surrounding towns and the property values have held up even in the downturn. The town is able to maintain lower taxes partially due to the industrial parks whose businesses bring tax revenue into the town coffers. Some other towns do not have industry to assist their finances. The town also is very commuter friendly given the two commuter rail stops in Franklin and we are within close proximity to both rt. 495, rt.95 and the Mass Pike.
I would be happy to answer specific questions you might have but also feel free to check out my website at http://www.franklinmahomes.com.
Feel free to call with your specific questions and I will try to answer them for you... Thanks and good luck !

Kathy Stankard
RE/MAX Executive Realty
508-369-5131
I could probably better answer your question if I knew what type of home you were looking for - are you looking for a home that has some yard to it, is newer in age, in a neighborhood setting? Or are you looking for a starter home that would keep its value in a few years when you sell it to upgrade to another home? Do you have children and want to be close to the schools or parks?

I live in Northbridge now and cover Worcester County and southern MA as a realtor. I've shown properties in Franklin many times and mostly on the outskirts of town are some good areas of the city depending on what you're looking for as to a home. It's a good commuting location due to Rtes 495 and 140 near the city, with a good downtown plaza area full of all types of businesses. They have a newer built YMCA as well if you had kids.

I can set you up with a saved search that can send you properties in different areas of Franklin so you can take a look at their locations to see which one might fit your interests. You can go in and change the criteria and put in other towns if desired at your convenience too, plus watch what the market is doing in Franklin if you're just looking right now and not ready to buy something.

Let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you in helping you find a home that would fit your interests in Franklin. Take care and good luck with your search!

Angela Dolber
Prudential Prime Properties
508-826-8553
angela@pruprimehomes.com