General Area in 07109>Question Details

Jmagdalena, Home Buyer in Weston, FL

Hi, if I ask the town to re-assess my house, would they object the bathroom n kitchen that I built without

Asked by Jmagdalena, Weston, FL Wed Apr 29, 2009

permit in the basement back 3 yrs ago? if they do, what kind of penalty I would get? thank you for all respond.

Answers

7
I would say you are going to face some penalties. I am not too sure about the status of Belleville, But I know of different solutions in different towns.

I have seen certain towns that perfrom an inspection.. electric, gas and plumbing. I have seen inspectors just pull a few sockets and check wiring and such.. but I have also seen inspectors actually open walls and tiles to see the that the work was up to code. Then there is the payment for the actual permits and then a fine. Some fines I have seen up $3000 and as little as $500.

I would call the township construction dept and say you are looking at a house for sale and want to know what would happen if the owner put in a kitchen and bath on thier own... you will then get a good response.

Not trying to scare you.. but that is what I have seen myself.

1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Apr 29, 2009
Just stumbled on this question in August. I wonder what happened? I closed on a home made job in BV not long ago. Town wanted permits to be opened- building, electric, plumbing. Then inspected and closed after corrections. About $200 for permits and inspections. But your issue is not only that one, but a basement kitchen, never permitted by any town. Assuming you are still alive, please tell us what ever happened.
You should consider applying for permits now before the re-ass. You may have to open up some walls to allow them to do their inspections. You may get a small fine but in most cases they don't fine residents. You may face doing some corrections and that will be for your benefit. Good luck
It is difficult to predict what action the town will take. Within a given town, I have seen a simple remedy of filing permits, and I have also witnessed a order to completely dismantle completed construction.

At some point the town will most likely find out about the work completed without permits. When you sell, the buyer may uncover this, or a CO inspector may research prior permits.

Although none of us can provide you a heads up about what to expect, all of us agree that sooner vs. later is a better strategy.
Deborah Madey, Real Estate Pro in Rumson, NJ
Jm,

Call me and I will give you my perspeictive on asseseents.

Formerly from Belllevlle, but jnot sure I will be helpful

Francesca Parizio, Realtor, ePrp
732.606.2931

P..S. did you, me or your wife graduate together?
Web Reference: http://www.PatrziorRE.com
Jmagdalena,

Belleville was recently reassessed within the last few years. Wasn't your house part of that reassessment? Was your bathroom and kitchen in the basement done at the time of reassessment or did you do it after? If it was, you should have been "caught" by the town back then. In any event and quite honestly if you did not get permits I'm certain they will object. As far as penalty, it could be as simple as fines, costs of permit and/or they may demand the kitchen and bathroom be removed.

You should really call the town or go to town hall and straighten it out.

Gina Chirico
Sales Associate
Prudential New Jersey Properties
Livingston Regional Office
973-715-1158 cell
973-992-6363 ext 116 office
Gina.Chirico@PrudentialNewJersey.com
Yes, they will likely object. Best to get this squared away now. Go to the town, explain the situation and take your lumps. This will haunt you when you go to sell, so square it away now.

Can't comment on the specifics of what will be required or what penalties may be involved from your town specifically.

Good luck and best,
Jeannie Feenick
Search and connect at http://www.feenick.com
Web Reference: http://www.feenick.com