General Area in 07030>Question Details

Laurens, Renter in Outside U.S.

Hi, Im planning to move from Europe to Hoboken/Jersey city as of May. Can someone explain me if the listed renting prices are incl common charges?

Asked by Laurens, Outside U.S. Sun Mar 13, 2011

If not, what are they typically (i know its hard to give a general answer) for an apartment that is 3-4k/month?

Answers

19
Typically, you pay electric and cable.
Hello Laurens,
I have helped many individuals and families move to the Hoboken/Jersey City area in the past year, as you will see mentioned in my Recommendations . I can set you up with automatic emails so that you can be notified when a new condo becomes available for rent - based on your specific criteria.

Each building is different, working with an experienced Local agent, they can help you chose the best location and building for your needs. Please let me know if I can help?

My best regards,
Kathleen
Hi Laurens, common charges are paid by the owner of the condo, when you rent from the owner you are only responsible for the rent, and if designated the utilities, you are not responsible for taxes, maintenance and or common charges.
Any common fees in a building are the responsibility of the landlord, but they are usually reflected in the rent. That said the rental market in Hoboken and Jersey City is very competitive, so I would begin actively searching now if you are looking for a May 1st move in date. If I can be of any assistance, please call me at 201-694-6682.

Sean P. Munroe
sean@hobokenproperties.com
Call me i can line you up with the right realtor, and right property.

Also check out my Video on How Purchases are made.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qe29-4VZxyU&feature=youtu.be

Let Coldwell Banker bring you Home!!

Jose Martinez
201-494-1973
Hi Laurens,

Welcome to our home. The stated rent is the fixed amount that you will pay monthly. Other expenses will be for utilities that are not included in the rent which will be identified in the listing. Also, if not required you should purchase renter's insurance and, if you will have a car, look into renting a parking space (~$200-250 monthly) as the parking, depending upon time of day could be challenging. You will also pay a 1 month's rent Realtor Fee unless paid for or split with the Landlord.

As you are looking for the May timeframe you are just about timing it perfectly as you should start looking about 60 days out.

Give me a call at 973.868.4034 or email me at EmilVeltre@aol.com.

Emil

Emil Veltre, RPh, MS, CDPE
973.868.4034
EmilVeltre@aol.com
The owner is the one that will pay that. The rent price should include this.

Call me i can help!!

Let Coldwell Banker bring you Home!!

Jose Martinez
201-494-1973
Laurens in Hoboken/JC the rent is the base rent, utilities may or may not be interested it should be documented, maintenance fees and taxes if you are renting a condo, if you are looking to rent a condo is included in the rent, Hoboken / JC is a night mare for parking so you should also add parking at a rate of 175-250 per month , unless you find a Condo that has deeded parking included, realtor Fees are usually paid by the tenant, but sometimes you can negotiate to split, love to help you,so if Interseted let me know 201-478-6705

Call me i can help!!

Let Coldwell Banker bring you Home!!

Jose Martinez
201-494-1973
#2

When renting the, usually the maintenance and taxes are the responsibility of the landlord,, if you are looking for a rental you will need 1.5 months rent for security and the first months rent, if you are using a realtor the fee is usually 1 month as well.. which is split between the listing agent and the agent who you are working with.. There are also rental buildings, that you can go to as well. But the only items you would pay for is your base rent, and your utilities and cable..

Thomas Laurita
Vice President/Sales Associate
Halstead Property New Jersey, LLC
79 Hudson Street
Hoboken, NJ 07030
201-478-6705 (Direct Line)
646-201-9702 (E-Fax)
973-477-1164 (Cellular)
Hi Laurens,

In most cases the renting price is just the price for the rent and the utilities are separate and the responsibility of the proposed tenants. You do have on occassion apartments that have some utilities included mostly heat and hot water. The expense depends on the usuage of the utilities. I always suggest to my customers/clients to call the local energy company and get an estimate.
Hi Laurens, usually any common charges are built into the rent. Utilities, such as hot water, heat and electricity may or may not be included in the rent, this varies from apartment to apartment and is disclosed in the lease.
Please check my site below for some of the apartments available but please note that very many apartments available for rent are not listed on MLS
Don't worry - you can NEVER ask too many questions :)
Hello Laurens, in condo buildings where you will rent a unit from an individual owner, the common fees are covered in their monthly fees and therefore will not be in addition to your rent. Renters in this area do not pay additionally for those fees, that is all covered and included in your rent. Some buildings, owner occupied or rental buildings, may have some additional, one time fees for use of amenities like a pool or gym on site.
As for your utilities it really depends on your amount of usage. A spacious two bedroom with electric, cooking gas, and ventral air on average can run you 150$ USD a month and cable, Internet, phone about 80-150$ USD a month on the high end for the super channel packages.
For the most timely posts when searching for short term rentals your beat bet is to contact a local renter and have them search the Multiple Listing Service for realtors for you. These sites and others are good yes, but they are not directly synced with the MLS and therefore have lag time with their updates as it can take 36-48 hours for these sites to syndicate. I just helped a couple relocating here from Norway find a rental with a direct New York City view and their company paid for their moving costs and most of the realtor fee plus their housing allowance. You may run into some challenges here if you do not have US credit and a SS#. You should work with someone who at least has been trough this.
I hope this helps!
Good day Laurens,
Your utility bill will be carried by PSE&G. I would say a $125 a month will be a rough estimate. Much depends on whether or not your heat/over range are gas or electric. If electric expect your bill to be higher. Your cable/internet service can be anywhere from $65 - $150. You can call the local carriers to find out what packages they offer ahead of time, Comcast, DirectTV & Verizon.
Trulia is a great site to research properties on your own. If you decide to go with a realtor we will be able to access a real estate based website, which is called the multiple listing service. This site allows all realtors in the county to upload their inventory for exposure. As I'm sure you are aware this if not now you know. Most realtors are able to access this site, search for properties that fit your criteria and email the listing directly to you. If you like I can assist you. In the meantime fill free to search my companies website as well as trulia's for more information.
Damian Vasquez
Web Reference: http://www.empiregroup.com
Thanks all for your prompt answers!

With common charges I mean the monthly service charge by the building (for the doormen, cleaning of shared areas etc.). In Europe this can go as high as $1500/month on top of the apartment rent.

Agency fee is clear. For utilities: what should an average user take into account for monthy payment of gas, electric, cable for ~1200 sqft?

And no, its not for short term, it will be long term lease. Can you recommend me the best search sites for apartments, which combines the broadest offering from 'all' real estate agents? Or is that already Trulia.com?

Sorry, many questions..:-)
Hi Laurens!
The rental fee advertised for a condominium typically includes everything except for electric, gas and cable; which you would be responsible for - along with the rental fee (which is usually one month's rent). If you are looking for a short term rental, you should start looking now as these are hard to find in Hoboken.
Hope this helps!
I am not sure which listing you are seeing, but there should be a place where it says something like "rent includes" and that will tell you what the owner is paying. It could be heat and hot water, or nothing at all. I am not sure exactly what you mean by ;common charges' but Donna is correct, there is a realtor's fee that has to be paid by someone, and typically the tenant is asked to pay that fee.
The amount listed that you have to pay per month is it in total. No other charges. The agency fee, for helping you find the place is typically paid by the renter and is typically equal to one month's rent.

Donna Antonucci
Prudential Castle Point Realty
donnaantonucci@gmail.com