General Area in Sonoma>Question Details

Mary A. Wood, Home Buyer in Lake Oswego, OR

Hello, how would you locals contrast the towns of sonoma, petaluma, & santa rosa? Any disadvantages?

Asked by Mary A. Wood, Lake Oswego, OR Sat Jun 7, 2008

Answers

3
I'm partial to Sonoma ( I live here). But I'd put Petaluma at a close 2nd, with Santa Rosa a distant 3rd. Sonoma is hotter in the summer than Petaluma, sometimes Petaluma's weather reminds me of San Francisco its so much cooler. Sonoma has a small town feel with no big box stores and no big freeways. Petaluma and Santa Rosa both have Hwy 101 running right through the middle. Sonoma has it all over both of them in sophistication and beauty. The disadvantage would be it's a little more expensive than either and there are fewer homes to choose from, because it's a smaller town. You should come visit!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 21, 2008
Great answer, Pam.
One other way to compare is to look at approximate populations: Sonoma about 30,000; Petaluma about 100,000 and Santa Rosa about 300,000. If you have kids, you would obviously want to look at the school districts as well.
Web Reference: http://www.natashalovas.com
Hi Mary--that is a big question--depends on what is important to you. Petaluma and Sonoma are both closer to San Francisco commute areas. Sonoma has a wonderful, if touristy, main plaza with the historical old mission and some fabulous homes. Petaluma is more of a working town, with a downtown area of live work lofts and a vibrant restaurant community. Santa Rosa is the largest town of all but has many quaint residential districts with varying architecture. Petaluma is cooler and windier, as is the south end of Sonoma. What the pluses and minuses are probably depends on your viewpoint and interests. I imagine we could have the same conversation about Lake Oswego, Beaverton and Portland! ;) Perhaps you can explain your interests a bit further.