General Area in 27516>Question Details

Zhong998, Home Buyer in Summerton, SC

Has this area ever been hit by tornadoes and floods?

Asked by Zhong998, Summerton, SC Sun Apr 10, 2011

Answers

7
Zhong,

Every location has some sort of natural issue with which residents must have an awareness. hurricanes, floods, tornadoes, earth quakes, drout, fires, mudslides, severe cold, lightning, and the list goes on and on......rendering the perfect location.......endangered!

The only area here that I remember dealing with some flood issues is around Eastgate Shopping. In general, we haven't had flooding. The more important issue is for particular houses, whether they are located downhill so water flows toward the house. Then you need to check whether there has been standing water, mildew, etc. There are water easements all over to handle runoff water. Chapel Hill doesn't have extremes of weather because the hurricanes that wreak damage on the coast are heavy storms here.
Web Reference: http://CrazyVivHomes.com
Ever is a long time, but this area is not known as a high risk area for either. Occasionally we get significant rain and wind from storms and there are some low lying areas that when this occurs have had some minor flooding but in general these are not significant issues in Chapel HIll. As others have already written you can check online using the resources available through the FEMA website for specific information.
If you are considering buyying a home in this area these are not items that need to be high on your list of possible concerns.

If I can be of any assistance, feel free to contact me through my profile page.
Hello Zhong,
FEMA provides information about flooding, including a site where you can enter an address to see its flood risk. The areas around certain creeks in Chapel Hill and Carrboro are in "flood plains". Anyone selling a home in North Carolina must note on the property disclosure if I house is in a flood zone according to the FEMA maps; however, anyone buying a home should double-check.
The North Carolina Department of Crime Control and Public Safety website has information on tornadoes and other natural hazards.
You can check the county GIS for 100 flood maps which will tell you if a property has flooded in the last century. Tornadoes can happen anywhere but are rare in the triangle. One of the wonderful things about living in central NC is that the climate is pleasant with mild winters and plenty of sunshine.
Hello Zhong998 - We had Hurricane Hugo quite a few years ago, ( September 22, 1989) but that was definitely not the norm. So this area is not know for floods and tornadoes. Of course with Global Climate Change things are becomming more unpredictable. I say this as I am also an Environmental Educator as well as a Real Estate Broker. If I can help you further just give me a shout or an email.

Deborah Rigsbee Miller, Broker
Coldwell Banker HPW - Serving the Triangle (Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill and surrounding areas)
You can contact the city for that data

Lynn911 Dallas Realtor & Consultant, Loan Officer, Credit Repair Advisor
The Michael Group - Dallas Business Journal Top Ranked Realtors
972-699-9111
http://www.lynn911.com