Joe, Home Buyer in

Has anyone heard of the attempted revival of south Trenton through the development of conversion lofts such

Asked by Joe, Wed Apr 16, 2008

as Trenton Ferry? If so, do you think the neighborhood will revive? Good Investment or not?

Answers

3
OK. reluctantly-
Around 2000 I purchased a large fix er upper in Trenton just a few blocks from the train station, capital etc. I spent close to 200K in rennovations of a victorian twin I absolutely love. Built around the turn of the century it has 9' plus ceiling on the first about 9' on second and 8 ' on third and a fourth floor attic walk up.
At the time I believed the hype of Trenton being revitalised with the arena, stadium,new restaurants ...I too thought it was about time Trenton's image improved and was on the verge. I held investor seminars for buyers. I found out that many of the programs and grants were designed for people who couldnt afford them or had no interest. 9 years later the gang crimes are worse, my home was broken into and thousand$ in tools stolen. It took close to 2 hours for police to arrive and I had to ask repeatedly for someone to come in and take samples of all the blood the burgular left when entering the window he broke. I never saw this crime reported. In the papers a year or two ago I read about many crimes being classified in such a way as to look less serious. The adjacent home to mine was broken in to by police during a raid last year, my neighbor was assaulted with a gun when he went for bread. Many of the Chambersburg restaurants have left the area. I have witnessed people fighting in the streets and damaging vehicles (yes I called the police)
Do I still own this home? Yes, as I said I love the home. My adult son lives there, however when he gets married he wont. I plan some day to live there my self but considering the crime and gang activity often around the schools. Trenton isnt right for everyone and it hasnt been a great investment for me. Maybe some day it will turn out to have been. I do believe in urban renewal and Trenton is still a prime candidate. (But look at Newark's mayor's recent events/court case for the potential for abuse)
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Apr 21, 2008
We would prefer you post more detail on this thread. Maybe you can elaborate.
Joe, feel free to email me directly. I own in Trenton and have for 9 years. I have had contact with a variety of investors there (some of whom were rehabbing warehouses into lofts). Too much to post here (good, bad and ugly)