General Area in Germantown>Question Details

Traci, Other/Just Looking in 44067

Germantown vs. Collierville - pros and cons

Asked by Traci, 44067 Fri Jul 18, 2008

Thanks for the answers to the Germantown vs Cordova question! We just rented a house in Cordova just North of Germantown. We hope to buy next summer ... we're still waiting for another home to sell out of state. We appreciate advice on here to help us get to know the area and where we might be interested in looking!

Can anyone offer the pros and cons of Germantown vs. Collierville?
We have driven around both and both seem very nice! Any insights on market trends, popularity, schools, community, taxes, etc?

Thank you!

Answers

5
This again, is two different cities located in Shelby County. Germantown is an older city, a closer suburb to Memphis. It has held steadfast with it's property values. I am a native of Memphis and grew up in East Memphis (which is more centrally located now and probably should be call midtown due to the growth of the city over the past 40 years). In the 70's families started moving to Germantown rapidly and it was "the place to live". Builders started building larger homes there compared with what was available out "East". Collierville was still a sleepy town and very rural. The growth started coming to Collierville in the mid 80's and really took off from the late 90's. However, there is a historical district but for the most part it's not a huge area, but very quaint just same. Some feel that Collierville did not grow as rapidly as it could have due to limited access in to the city - Poplar (Hwy 72) being the primary way and out of the city. That has all changed with Hwy 385 (Bill Morris Parkway) being built.

Collierville's taxes are slightly less per assessed value than Germantown (both still pay Shelby County Taxes). Both have sought after schools (it depends on who you talk to on which one is better & I am not getting into that discussion). Germantown does command more dollar per square foot generally, but in each area you may find wonderful deals.

Since you are tied to a lease for almost a year and anything can happen in an area, I suggest you enjoy yourself in Cordova until early Spring, then get serious on your next move. Try to take in the Germantown Festival (running of the weiner dogs), Coliiervilles activities such as air shows, etc., take in a movie in each area, eat out there. That will be the best way for you to get a first hand feel for the community you are looking into.

Both areas I would be happy to call home.

Take care,

Jo Shaner
Web Reference: http://www.lipseyshaner.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Jul 18, 2008
Traci,
Good luck on your out of town sale, where is the house?-Location depends on the amount of time it takes to sell! - of course, how much competition! is also a great factor!!-RIght now the U.s. Govt. is allocating funds to allow first time home owners some monies to "make Home Ownership a Reality!", but for those of us that are already homeowners it is definately more complicated!!, when you get ready I would love to assist you in locating that dream home! , Cordova is close to everything! FOOD EVERYWHERE!! the drive home can be a nightmare sometimes! - Goodluck and keep the Faith! -Patty Everitt
I am a native of Memphis as well. As stated in other answers Germantown was the go to place to be and is still today. It is land locked so to speak, and there really is not room for any new construction unless they tear down an existing home to rebuild.

Collierville is still growing with new construction, and several new subdivisions are being built now. I have lived in Collierville for the past 10 years and love it. It has a small town feel and with the new expressway you can be downtown in 30 minutes. Again the taxes are lower, its really just a matter of what is important to you. Germantown has a more central location in relation to Memphis. You have time to check them out and probably will not see prices this low for these areas again. Let me know if I can help you in any way.

Randy J Smith
Hi, I have been living in Germantown for several years, and now in Collierville, so I am just the one for you!
There is a little bit more community feel about the Collierville area, mostly because they have that great "square" , music and food! we have certainly enjoyed it when the kids were small! contact me if you have further questions! Oh yea, property taxes are smaller in Collierville!
Web Reference: http://www.PattyEveritt.com
You need to talk with the local residence of that community who can provide answers and addtional details. SUGGESTION: Since you wont be purchasing a home till next year try going out to those areas acting as if you live there stores, dining, parks and etc, determine which city best suits your lifestyle. http://www.lynn911.com http://www.homes-for-sale-dallas.com
Web Reference: http://www.lynn911.com