General Area in Houston>Question Details

Dw Family, Home Buyer in Houston, TX

Gay family with two young children relocating from CT to Houston. Looking for great schools, diversity and a safe neighborhood. Any suggestions??

Asked by Dw Family, Houston, TX Sun Apr 8, 2012

Kids are in elementary school and are bi-racial. Work is in Jersey Village.

Answers

14
Hi there - the website http://www.myalternativefamily.com can help you with these kind of questions.
Best of luck with the move
Becky
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Apr 9, 2012
I am a big fan of The Houston Heights and Spring Branch. Homes run from the high $100s in Spring Branch West to the low one millions in the Heights and everything in between. Houston personifies diversity and acceptance. You will love this town.
Web Reference: http://www.DaveRealty.com
CY-FAIR area close to work nice schools only draw back is they are starting to work on hwy 290 to expand it. Get a pre approval before start your home search
Everyone has thier own unique family dynamic. Part of my job is to get to know you and especially with families relocating from out of town, help you get to know Houston. Depending on how much time you spend persuing various activities such as theater, the arts, parks and recreation, work, school etc. will help give us direction towards communities you may be interested in. After identifying some neighborhoods of interest, I recommend walking through those neighborhoods at different times of day both week day and week end. It's amazing how each neighborhood will have it's own personality and how you can get a feel for it just by walking through. To suggest one neighborhood over another at this point would be premature. Give me a call so we can set up an appointment to discuss your families needs further. Cell 281-798-4100
All the previous answers were good. However, with young elementary school age children and your work being in near Jersey Village, and depending on your price range, I believe I'd stay in the Cy-Fair School district. There many wonderful nice and as safe as any neighborhood can be in a large city, and Houston is probably after San Francisco and LA, is probably the most diversified city in the USA. I sold a gay couple who had young children a home in Missiour City, which is too far of a commute for you but If you choose the Heights or Montrose areas, I would send the children to a private school. HISD is not the best with some elementary schools being OK. Remember the greater Houston area is 90 sq. miles very spread out. New neighborhoods such as Towne Lake is in Cy-Fair school district and has great schools and 15 minutes from Jersey Village area. I'd be delighted to assist you and your precious family. give me a call and let's discuss more in depth.
Lane Mabray CRS GRI CLHMS
RE/MAX Westside Realtors
281-925-3023 direct line & msg. center
Still listen, come to the city. I've helped numerous Gay people move. They love the city. Try leasing something for a year to get better acclimated. I am almost positive that you would love the city. Jersey Village is down the street. Try Midtown/Montrose areas. Call me for any assistance.

Joe Cano - Realtor/Locator
(281) 785-5132
joelocator.com
I have worked in the gay community for 25 years...helping people find the home that fits them best.
Glad to help you find a place here. I live in the Heights also. Heights, Oak Forest, even out around Jersey Village would work just fine. It all depends on price and size of home. Call me if you have any questions. 713-863-9494 or http://www.richardhill.com. Hope your move works out great.
Definitely stay away from Katy and Memorial. Not sure if Cyfair is a step up, either. Good luck. Email me with questions:)
I would suggest Heights, Timbergrove and Oak Forest neighborhoods. They have good elementary schools and plenty of family in the neighborhoods. The neighborhoods have a wide range of residents living in them. Heights and Timbergrove are inside loop 610 (Inside the Loop) and not far from downtown Houston. Oak Forest is outside loop 610 (Outside the Loop) and a little norht of the Heights and Timbergrove. Travis, Harvard, Sinclair and Oak Forest Elemantary Schools for you to consider. You can look at schools in Houston Independant School District at http://www.hisd.org. Hope the kids enjoyed an Easter Egg Hunt! Happy Easter. If you should like assistance please contact me.
Montrose or River Oaks. Going to be quite a trek to Jersey Village, though. But you will feel very comfortable.
DW Family,

I have been assisting relocating families for over 19 years. Your general question is one EVERY buyer ask us. Who doesn't want a diverse community, great schools and to be safe in your new city?

You mentioned Jersey Village. I just posted an page on the community on my web site with a little bit of history and a list of homes for sale. This is the general Cypress and Cy-Fair areas of northwest Houston. There are other communities in these areas with prices from starter all the way to +$600,000 custom homes. http://www.markknowshouston.com/Jersey-Village-n46612.html

I'm aware of other communities such as gated/wooded neighborhoods, patio homes, those backing to water and more. We have access to multiple web sites that can assist you with evaluating the schools, crime rates and more.

When are you coming to Houston? You might need temp. housing until you get to tour the area and have time to review financing and schools. Provide me your address and I will send you a relocation packet and specific information on the City of Jersey Village and other communities near by. When the time is right, I would love to tour you around. Review my web site to see my experience in the area.

Happy Easter!

Mark McNitt
m 832-567-4357
Benstein Realty
Welcome to Greater Houston! Jersey Village and surrounds offer much in the way of schools and diversity ... actually, Houston is probably the most diverse city in the country.

Depending upon exact location, you'd be in either the Cypress-Fairbanks (Cy-Fair) or Katy school district ... I wouldnt hesitate sending my children to either.

Sites such as this one ... http://houstoncrimemaps.com/ ... can provide you with information for you to determine whether a neighborhood is "safe." As Realtors, we don't make that judgment.

Are you looking to lease or purchase? If you're consdering the latter, you'd be surprised at just how much home you can get for your money in these areas. $120,000 to $150,000 will buy a lovely property. A three-bedroom, single family home in excellent condition and a desirable location should lease at $1300-$1500 per month.

I'd love to discuss this further with you, and assist in any way I can to facilitate a smooth transition to your new home town. Please feel free to call or text me at ... (713) 213-6350 ... or e-mail me at ... al@algeffon.com. I look forward to hearing from you. Regards ...

Al

Web Reference: http://www.har.com/algeffon
Jersey Village is in the Cy-fair school district and the neighborhood and the surrounding area is very intergrated with people from all over the world. If you want to go further inner loop, Memorial is nice, and the Heights are very cool.

As a Realtor we do not discuss race and religion, but Houston is a very big and diverse melting pot and I am sure you will find the perfect place for your family.

As for safe neighborhoods, Trulia has crime stats and rating tools, and there are numerous websites, too.
Check out my website and drop me a line when you are ready to look at homes!
There are several great school Districts in Houston and the suburban areas. I like the city, HISD near Lamar or maybe even Bellaire areas.