General Area in Dallas>Question Details

Turmanemily, Renter in Valparaiso, IN

From Chicago land area looking to move to Texas. What are the advantages and disadvantages to certain areas?

Asked by Turmanemily, Valparaiso, IN Tue Aug 26, 2014

I am a current senior in a nursing program near Chicago land area. I hate snow and the cold so my goal is to move down to Texas near hospitals and construction companies (For my boyfriend). I am visiting the Texas land region soon, but was wondering what areas had better advantages or what some disadvantages there were to living in certain cities. Like Houston is ungodly humid, or Dallas hospitals are of poor quality (just an example!!)

Answers

2
It's actually illegal for us to say one area stinks and another is pristine.

There are websites which will show you, using colorful icons, crime stats in any given area. The different colors correspond to different crimes.

Dallas and Fort Worth are both huge cities, but we have something unique here- the "mid-cities". In other places, you are in a developed area. Then, you drive a little while and you are in another developed area (city limits). Here, they are all strung together. You drive and drive and are still in "the city". Living in mid-cities is good because they are convenient to both Dallas and Fort Worth, and job opportunities there are excellent. Hospitals? It seems like we have thousands in the Metroplex (that is what we call Dallas, Fort Worth and the mid-cities combined).

While it is true that we are currently having toll roads put in, those roads have feeder roads that are free. You only have to pay the tolls if you choose to drive in the faster moving lanes.

One thing. Texas beaches are not the greatest. Don't move here for the beaches.
Dallas area has a lot good hospitals and doctor's office so you shouldn't have any problems finding a job here. The area is growing rapidly with a lot of employers from out of state relocating here as well. The housing market is growing and so is the city. Dallas isn't humid but it's hot during summer.

I would suggest you come and check Dallas and see whether you'd like the area. Give me a call and I'd be happy to chat with you further.

Susie Kay