General Area in Camp Hill>Question Details

Roseann Annis,  in Camp Hill, PA

For those of you searching for homes in the Camp Hill area, what is your opinion about the list prices which you encounter?

Asked by Roseann Annis, Camp Hill, PA Thu Nov 5, 2009

Answers

5
I have seen prices all over the board and not just in Camp Hill. The best thing to do is be patient which can be hard as it get's frustrating and hire a competent Realtor who knows the area and will look out for you. The homes I have sold in Camp Hill have sold for good price while some were listed to high we eventually got them down. If you need any assistance please do not hesitate to contact me. Best of luck in your search.

Chris Jordahl
D'angelo Realty Group
717-623-0891
cjordahl628@gmail.com
My experience as a seller in the 2010-2011 period was less than stellar. I wish the guy with the $10K increase after the tax expired has looked at my house. I'd of gladly sold it for the $150K range, particularly after BUYERS looked at the place and negatively noted (a) the upgrates; (b) the cleanliness; and (c) the size. Basically, they were Central Pa. local chiselers looking to get a house on the cheap in the Borough for what a house like mine would cost outside the Borough -- suggesting they likely could not afford it. As it were, I sold the house for a little more than what I owed on it . I paid $110K and did $50K in upgrades i.e., new kitchen and appliances except cabinets; new bathroom low-flow toilet and cabinet/dual sinks (4ft. custom made so we had two sinks in a 4 ft cabinet), basement waterproofing ($8K) so we could live in the lower level where there was finished rec room, fireplace, laundry room (with double sink for soaking), upgraded bath (with new shower, whirlpool tub, and toilet), and small studio with small kitchenette upgraded (there had been one there but it really needed new cabinets, sink, stove, refrigerator, and flooring). So, when the cheapskates came by complaining, I put a condition that no viewer except the pre-qualified in my price range looked at it. The first person after that bought it. And, we moved to a "move up" with 4 beds/2.5 baths/garage (hooray, no snow shoveling). You just have to be careful with the local BUYERS and the Banks, Appraisers, Agents, and Inspectors. They all know each other, they do business together before and after you, and, if they can, they'll take advantage of your ignorance.
I know that searching for a home can be frustrating. The home that was $139 and went to $149, do you know if repairs or upgrades were made to the property? Did they change agents? Did they hear that a home similar to theirs sold for $149? There are a lot of variables.

Are you searching the MLS yourself or do you have a competent agent who is finding why homes are increasing in price and providing you with the information? I agree, there are sellers that could be inflating the home prices and yes, there are people that are underwater and need to get a certain amount for their home. BUT THE GREAT THING ABOUT BEING A BUYER is that you have DOZENS AND DOZENS of homes to choose from. You just haven't found the right one yet. I do believe the tax credit helps the buyer. So if a seller is inflating their price, and you don't think the home is worth it MOVE ON....If you like a home, make an offer based on the market as it stands today. If the sellers don' t take the offer, MOVE ON. Call me for more information.
Andrea Chronister, Realtor
Coldwell Banker Select Professionals, 4349 Carlisle Pike, Camp Hill
717-422-4049 Cell
717-761-1377 Office
I agree with the first respondent to this question. I see a VERY disappointing trend!!! My wife and I have been house hunting for several months, and we have noticed that since the 1st-time homebuyer credit was extended, listing prices on some of the homes we have viewed or have been keeping an eye on have increased accordingly - some by 10 percent or more. This effectively eliminates the benefit/advantage of an $8000 tax rebate!!! For instance, one home we had looked at in Camp Hill went from $139,900 to $149,900 within the last few weeks. Why? The only explanation I can forsee is that many sellers are either so far in over their heads (having purchased a home that was WAY over their budget) or they are simply naive/ignorant of current market conditions, to the point that they see the tax extension as an opportunity to artificially inflate home prices. In essence, the $8000 tax credit is actually benefitting SELLERS, not buyers. And that is exactly what I see is happening, which is why my wife and I may just wait until after April 30 has come and gone before we sign a contract. SOOOOO frustrating!!!
On average, they have been a bit high for this market. Particularly, the larger homes(4 Bd). My wife and I have been browsing the market for the past 4 months and are interested in staying in Camp Hill. We are not sure if we can get what we wnat for the money especially in the Camp Hill borough.