General Area in Washington>Question Details

Daniel, Other/Just Looking in Washington, DC

Estimate of the cost for a new roof for a Victorian in Bloomingdale area?

Asked by Daniel, Washington, DC Sat Aug 4, 2007

I don't have any details regarding the property (haven't bought yet), but it seems a frequent necessity for a lot of the properties that have not been previously renovated (at least, not in a long time) that I have visited. Assuming a Bloomingdale-style Victorian (say 2 to 3 stories and English basement, turret, approximately 20' wide by 70' deep), what price range could be expected for a total replacement?

Answers

4
Based on the roof I just had replaced, I would estimate $15-20/sq. ft. to be safe. I had a 500 sq ft flat roof replaced (tear off and new rubber roof w/ paint, and minimal rot underneath) for $8000, that included gutters. Another roofer gave me a quote of about $12000 for the same roof. No turret on my house, if you need new shingles on a round turret, that could be pricey especially if its slate, if its a square one that is probably a bit easier.
I would estimate 5 to 10K, depending on what material you wanted to use, like say, replacing the original standing sill tin, but first removing the old roof, then replacing it. If you just put rubber down over the existing roof, probably the job would be much cheaper, but then, you get what you pay for sometimes.

Then, you'll proabably want to aluminize the roof for heat rejection purposes - it also seals the roof in and helps to prevent cracks.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Aug 13, 2007
i got a quote for $8000 but it was in the Maryland area about a year ago.
I am sorry but I am not a contractor. However,a great site to go to is http://www.servicemagic.com. There you will find a list of contractors in your area. I am sure some can even give you free estimates. Hope that helps.