General Area in Bayview>Question Details

kristen mars…, Home Buyer in San Francisco, CA

Early stages of considering a move to SF and starting my own business (online & retail) - Looking at Bayview and need opinions from residents

Asked by kristen marshall, San Francisco, CA Wed Feb 5, 2014

I found a property that could be set up as a retail space with my primary residence above. The business would be a wine shop/bar, art / music / creative space. What type of appetite currently exists in a neighborhood like Bayview for this type of business? For those of you living there, would you visit my shop to have a glass of wine, listen to an acoustic session or just drop in for a bottle of wine?

Talk to the owners of Speakeasy (brewery) and All Good Pizza, both businesses that are thriving in Bayview and rely on a clientele like the one that you hope to attract.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri May 9, 2014
It seems like most of the people answering don't live in the neighborhood and are basing their answers based on prejudice. You should go and hang out at the few nice places in the Bayview and talk to the clientele. You can also look at the crime maps and see that the Mission beats the Bayview in crime yet businesses thrive there. People are discovering the Bayview and are moving into the area. Soon it will be just as unaffordable as any other place in the city.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Mar 3, 2014
Which nice places are you thinking of? I live near there and agree the Bayview is on the way up but it's definitely not there yet.
Flag Tue May 6, 2014
Absolutely! Please come! We are all hiding out in our homes waiting for places to open up so we can go support our local businesses!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Feb 22, 2014
I would advise that you visit SF for week and pound the pavement in the Bayview & get a feel for the neighborhood vibe before making such a commitment :
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Feb 6, 2014
Even though not living in S.F., Mr. Chavez's suggestion is the most realistic. I don't think a week is enough time to base a business investment on in this case. Why not do more homework?
Everyone should understand that most hot neighborhoods for food and entertainment are much like entertainers themselves: often a 20 year over night success. It's about how long your business survives before it takes off, and all of what happens around you. Also the normal Q: what can you afford? People running down a neighborhood usually are irrationally fearful.
There is truely terrible crime is most big cities, yet you don't see people leaving so fast that property values are impacted. Just the opposite.
Best wishes!
Flag Thu May 15, 2014
I grew up in hunters point it was bad then believe it or not it has changed a lot there is alot of great places in Bayview look around and see fo your self and dont pay no mind to the nagative answers others have to say i still live in san francisco nearGeneva
Like the other commenters said, you'll definitely want to visit the neighborhood before making any final decisions. That being said, while Bayview isn't the safest neighborhood in SF, it's certainly up-and-coming. Tour the neighborhood and see if it makes sense for your business. If you need any more detailed advice or help looking for a property there, or anywhere in the city or bay-area, I'd be happy to help!

Bayview is a crime ridden neighborhood. Lots of down and outs, drugs ans drive by shootings on most nights. I am a native San Franciscoan and would not move there. Yes, they have made some improvements but it is still very dangerous. No matter waht the realtor says they just want to sell you something. Look for a place in Now Valley, Bernal Heights, Mission basically anywhere but Bayview, Hunters Pint or Sunnydale- all really bad neighborhood.
Really none right now but that's going to change over the next 2 years. If you can fund the project long term it eventually may do well. But not for a while yet.
You might think about coming north to Sonoma County! We are starving for entertainment! We have our own airport in Santa Rosa, that caters to the wine industry, come up and take a look at all the opportunities! Your overhead will probably be greatly lower as well!
I would ask yourself, who is your market clientele and see if Bayview is the ideal location. Personally, no would be the short answer.