General Area in San Jose>Question Details

Hollie, Home Buyer in Tracy, CA

Duet ???

Asked by Hollie, Tracy, CA Fri Apr 16, 2010

Can we call 'attached single house' Duet?

Help the community by answering this question:


Yes Hollie that would be correct.

Where are you in the search process, do you need any help?

Web Reference:
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Jul 12, 2010
That is correct. They share a common wall.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Jun 22, 2010
Thank you all. So duet is "attached single house"
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Apr 26, 2010
Hi Hollie:

At the insistence of one of my sellers, I once used the term "single family attached" home instead of "duet" and the term simply confused both buyers and their agents. Everyone seemed to really understand that a "duet" is two single family homes with one common wall, but the "single family attached" had everyone wondering if this were a townhome in long row of townhomes or just two homes together. So I eventually convinced the sellers to restate that the home was a "duet" house. By the way, a duet home does not automatically have to be in a homeowners association or part of a condominium or planned development (PD, not PUD--which, by the way, means "condo" not "planned development"), and many are just homes on in-fill lots with reciprocal maintenance agreements to handle the exterior repairs.

Good question, as always, Hollie!

Grace Morioka, SRES, CID Expert and Professional
Area Pro Realty
San Jose, CA
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Apr 16, 2010
I concur with Terry. An "attached single house" is another way to describe a "duet" or "duplex" property. The terms "duet" and "duplex" are a little more specific as they refer specifically to a 2-unit building.
Web Reference:
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Apr 16, 2010
These terms can vary from area to area, but yes a "duet" in this area is a configuration of two single family dwellings attache to each other, typically by a single common wall.
More important to prospective buyers is whether your home is legally a condominium or a PUD (part of a planned unit development). PUDs typically include land ownership, have higher value, and are easier to finance. The term "town house" or "town home" creates some confusion here because that mean either a PUD or a condo. Check the county records on your property to see which one describes your property.

Licensed Real Estate Broker, Realtor®
Red Oak Realty
Cal. DRE Lic. #01273793
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Apr 16, 2010
Duet is usually a regional term. Yes, a Duet is an attached single family house where there are only two sides.
Web Reference:
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Apr 16, 2010
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2014 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer