General Area in Dorchester>Question Details

Bobby Woofter, Real Estate Pro in Cambridge, MA

Dorchester should be divided into smaller neighborhoods

Asked by Bobby Woofter, Cambridge, MA Fri Dec 9, 2011

So clearly this is not really a question but an interesting idea a co worker of mine brought up. Dorchester should really be divided into 3 different areas. The neighborhood is so large as it is there are multiple distinct neighborhoods within what is considered Dorchester. I think the name recognition scares potential new comers away from a better part of it when they hear about crime that happens in the rougher parts. A re branding of the area would likely help speed up the recovery and improvement.

Answers

5
Ken Snyder’s answer
It actually already is divided into many neighborhoods (Savin Hill, Jones Hill, Ashmont, Melville Park, Lower Mills, etc.) but to someone new to Dorchester it can be very unclear. To make it even more confusing, many long time residents refer to their neighborhoods by the name of the local church parish.

MLS does now support different area names for Dorchester - as agents we should be thorough and always put our listings into the right areas - at least that's a start.
3 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 9, 2011
The thing about Dorchester is that neighborhoods themselves can vary from BLOCK to BLOCK. To brand certain neighborhoods as safe or unsafe isn't entirely accurate. I think to brand a given neighborhood as "bad" is far more harmful in the long term to recovery.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Oct 5, 2012
Ok, what I am saying is that the blanket neighborhood of Dorchester is so large compared to the rest of Boston, it scares away people who would potentially love the place. Some broader re branding would help this. Sure it has its smaller neighborhoods but only people who know it already go by those names. The fact that MLS divides the neighborhoods up is all fine and good but misses what I am driving at. I feel like if half the people in Boston were asked to draw a map of Boston Dorchester would be a big question mark with "here be dragons" written across it. Some of the neighborhoods are very rough and some are very nice. If we could get a bit of a crowbar separation between the Lower Mills and Fields corner as a way to let more people know about it and not be spooked by the Dorchester name, it would go a long way to helping the neighborhood as a whole.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 10, 2011
As already stated, there are many neighborhoods in Dorchester already. It is easy for someone who is not familiar with the area to get confused. Best to work with an agent who is experienced with the neighborhood. I know Dorchester well and would be happy to work with anyone looking to move into this great neighborhood.
Sounds like a good idea to me and I am sure there are already local names for some of the neighborhoods.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 9, 2011