General Area in Denver>Question Details

Steve Peters, Real Estate Pro in Centennial, CO

Door Knocking, effective or not?

Asked by Steve Peters, Centennial, CO Sat Dec 22, 2012

I have been doing a good bit of door knocking in a couple of my farm areas. Have you done it and what kind of lead generation results do you get? In other words, how many leads per houses knock on, do you get? 5%, 10%, more?

Answers

15
The most effective way to get listings!!! Most agents are lazy, and are scared of rejection, which is good news for me, I used to send letters no one read, cold called to get hung up on; however since I started a door knocking campaign I have listed sooooo many houses!
I live in NYC-the boro of Brooklyn to be exact, one of the most cutthroat areas to be a realtor, and believe me when I tell you, people in Brooklyn, NY (NYC) are hardly rude, hardly offended, let me into their homes for coffee and cake! Most people will not be rude to your face, they will on a phone call or trash your stupid letter. In person, if you carry yourself the right way, bring a business card along with some pertinent information regarding the area your are knocking, it is a piece of cake.....
Could you elaborate on your method? What you say and what material you provide?
Flag Sat Aug 1, 2015
I have done some door knocking in City Park and lately in Park Hill. I have found that some of the personal, old school methods still work. I have always done it in the areas where I live. It is not only the 3-5 percent average direct leads, but the exposure in the neighborhood. Always come with some pertinent information about the neighborhood. Homes for sale, sold information, prices etc. One of the best ways to door knock is to personally invite the people to open houses you are doing in the area. They can be yours or other agents listings. But they see you as the neighborhood expert, actively involved in the interworkings of the area.

Another good thing about door knocking or passing out flyers in the neighborhood is that you will inevitably come across the neighborhood activists and neighborhood watch people who know everything about the neighborhood. Who is moving, who is relocating or losing their job, who is having a baby, and sometimes who is getting a divorce. They will point out the home with newspapers in front and newspapers piling up. They will either know the story or ask you to check into it and find out for them what is happening with the distressed property. They talk to everybody and can be an advocate for your work in the area. I think we can get so overly technological that we forget the effects of the personal, face to face approach to real estate which has been proven over time to be the most effective way to do this business.

Merry Christmas to all and a Happy and Prosperous New Year.

Robert McGuire ASR
Realtor/Consultant
Your Castle Real Estate
Direct - 303-669-1246
http://about.me/robertmcguire33
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 22, 2012
Like alot of prospecting, it's great for some people and not so much for others. But when it's good, it is REALLY effective. For me, it's really my best and only form of lead generation. Just get a few scripts and go. Here's a few I like:

http://www.tomferry.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Tom-Ferry…
http://www.cheaphouseswilmington.com/effective-door-to-door-…
http://www.marketleader.com/blog/2014/08/25/dont-knock-it-ti…
I started door knocking in Colorado Springs at the beginning of 2015 and here are my averages so far...
27% answer rate
17% lead rate (buy or sell)
27% no soliciting rate (I do not approach houses with "no soliciting" signs)
http://spotio.com/ is an excellent app I use for door knocking. There is a monthly subscription fee but it is excellent for tracking every door in the neighborhood and following up later.
Best of luck to you!
Hi Steve:

I've done some door knocking with a degree of success. I've done best when I've researched the homes I would approach and brought along information specifically pertaining to them. Helps to also hand out the information printed with the homeowners' names.

Ron
I have done it with FSBO's and gotten more of a maybe later. The door knock may not be 100% effective, but if you follow up it really is! I bring a market activity report in a folder with my card. That seems to increase the odds. Don't be afraid, the numbers are low, but it does work sometimes.
This question was posted in 2012.
Steve has already settled how this option fits into his business.
Patrick and Roberts hinted that there's much more to this than knocking on a door.

What I find amusing is every agent will advise other agents to be different in their marketing stategy. and in the next breath tell them why they shouldn't be different..

There is more to lean from knocking on a door than warming a stool in a conference room.
I have never tried it, but another agent in my office does and he gets listings. He leaves flyers on doors and he knock on doors when he sees a for sale by owner.

Tammy Hayes, Realtor
Re/Max Palm Realty
tammyhayesre@gmail.com
I tried it when I started in this business and never again. If you are fine accepting rejection then go for it. I'd rather walk around the neighborhood maybe leaving flyers and initiating a conversation who those that are also walking or doing gardening work outside. When I can I hold an open house in the area and have them come to me instead of me invading their privacy. I personally don't like when a stranger knocks on my door.
yolivarela@gmail.com. THANKS
Well, Steve...since you're doing it (door knocking, that is)..........how productive do you find it as a lead generating activity?

Personally, I do not, and have never, knocked on anyone's door.
Why?
Well, personally, I find it to be an invasion of one's privacy. I actually think it's rude to come, unannounced to someone's house.
I wouldn't just drop in on a friend without calling first!

So.............since I don't open my own door to strangers, I wouldn't expect someone to open their door to me.

Maybe the success (or not) of this practice has to do with your location......it's just not done in my area.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 22, 2012
Old school for sure, like cold calling before the Do Not Call List came out. Knocking on doors is like looking for trouble as well as a lead with all the nut jobs out lurking about. I sure would not do it after dark or while carrying any valuables. Are they still teaching that stuff in the real estate training courses these days?
I haven't done it myself due to time restraints, but I've talked to a few agents who do...and they say it's a secret old school effective marketing technique that has not died. I think it really depends on the neighborhood and how comfortable you are with your greeting approach. The one agent who's had success doing it, says she gets 4-5 deals out of it each year. She doesn't knock it too often, but when she does, she tries to hit as many homes within 3-4 hrs before she feels drained.
In this day and age it is not a tool we use any longer. It does though only take 1 tomake it all worth while.
You can't look at it that way, or you'll dread knocking on the next door:
You have to belive that the next door, will have a ready and willing Client.
Your return will probably be surprising; simply because so few do it.

Good luck, God bless, and Merry Christmas
Wow, that's old school. I would expect 1% return on leads for each month you do it at the same neighborhood. So, if you're looking for 10% returns on leads, knock on doors in the same area for a year.
Web Reference: http://www.archershomes.com