General Area in Yorba Linda>Question Details

Macy Galla, Home Buyer in 90815

Does anyone live or know of someone who lives in Yorba Linda?

Asked by Macy Galla, 90815 Thu Jul 3, 2008

Just wondering about the quality of life there. It seems remote and a little desolate. I don't want to feel isolated. Thanks.

Answers

18
p.s. Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that ALL restaurants in YL are chains- but compared to some other areas, there is a relative lack of sophisticated cuisine options, in my opinion.
Hi Macy,

Thanks to Rudy for linking to the Land of Gracious Living blog.

Yorba Linda is great. I live here of course. One thing most people don't know about Yorba Linda is that is hotter than most of Orange County, especially if you live on the east end of YL.

It is not true that all restaurants in Yorba Linda are Chains but it is true that there are not a lot of water holes or much of a night life / bar scene. Some independent restaurants to check out : Blue Agave, Canyon Steak House, The Wild Artichoke, Stefanos Deli and many more.

If you move to Yorba Linda drop by the blog and say hi.

Loren Nason
Resident of Yorba Linda
Hi Macy!

I do. My good friend Loren Nason lives there and even has a super hyper-local blog about Yorba Linda called "Land of Gracious Living".

http://www.landofgraciousliving.com/

Give it a look see....

Rudy
Social Media Guru at Trulia
Hi macy,
I would contact Lynda Eisenmann.. she has lived in the area for many years and knows it well.. Check out her blog in the link below.. I think you will learn a lot about the area..
Web Reference: http://livinginsocal.com/
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jul 7, 2008
Kaye Thomas, Real Estate Pro in 90266
Thanks for the advice and sharing your experiences. We do have 2 children and a quite pace sounds good, but I do like to have places to go to get out of the house. Not sure Yorba Linda has enough options without hoping on a freeway. We're going to be looking at places this weekend, maybe I can get a better feel for it.

It is a very pretty, lush, well kept community and that I do like and yes it feels very safe. The beach has gotten so expensive... even to just rent. That it is not really a long term place to be, realistically. Yorba Linda may just be our new home. I guess we'll see. Thanks!!!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jul 7, 2008
I grew up in Fullerton and have many childhood friends from Yorba Linda, a few of whom have continued to live and raise their own families there. It is a perfect place to raise a family. It has good schools, nice people, no crime, etc etc. It is definitely on the rural side of suburbia, so if you and your husband are childless and looking for a town where you can meet your friends for a drink downtown, YL is definitely not the place to live. (maybe check out fullerton instead for that vibe) Unfornately there are really no hip places to eat, drink, and so on (restaurants are all chains) and the community is definitely geared toward family life. It's a great place if you like to are an equestrian or just enjoy quiet living and I would highly recommend it for a family, but not so much for a young couple looking for "fun" things to do. Also, if you have to commute to the beach cities for work, the freeway can be horrible right at the 91 interchange. I am not a realtor so I have no vested interest in this...just my two cents. My hubbie and I currently rent in Newport Beach (good, fun area for childless couple but very expensive!) and are looking for homes in Mission Viejo, which has the same feel as YL.
Oh, and I would recommend concentrating your search in YL in the 92886 area code.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jul 7, 2008
Hi Macy,

One of my in-laws lived in Yorba Linda for several years. Very nice area and quiet. It does get rather hot during the summer months as compared to other areas a bit south. However, he and his family did enjoyed their stay there until they had a job relocation. Homes are really nice and has new developments sprawling the areas.

Shopping areas and nice and clean. Schools are pretty high rated as well.

Dave
626-203-5676
I lived in Yorba Linda for several years, it is a Great place to live and raise a family. Has top rated schools and plenty of local shopping. Most definitely not desolate or remote, it is centrally located just a short freeway drive away from Brea mall, Disneyland, Angel Stadium and Honda Center just to name a few local attractions.
I live in Yorba Linda, have for the past 10 years. I LOVE it. its perfect for families. If you want more nightlife that is very close away in Brea or Fullerton. The city is kept up very well. lots of local businesses. Lots of community activities. Would recommend it in a minute.
Macy, Yorba Linda has grown significantly over the past few years. For the most part, the quality of life is exceptional.... I have friends who live in Eastlake which gives them access to a lake and swimming pools. They have good neighbors and have many get-togethers with them. They have 3 young children and feel it is a safe and healthy place to raise their children. They have recently outgrown their 3200 sq. ft. home and are moving to a 5800 sq.ft. home about a mile or so away, so I know they still love the area.
I have an uncle who also resides on the border of Yorba Linda and Brea. He used to live in Long Beach off of Studebaker and Anaheim, but after relocating to Utah, and then resettling back in Southern California, he decided to move to Yorba Linda. He and his family loved Long Beach. They liked the area, their neighbors, being close to the beach (their home backed to the flood channel), but from talking with him recently, he feels just at home in Yorba Linda as he did in Long Beach. Hope this info helps.
Macy
Yorba Linda is a very residential city. In order to keep it that way, there is limited commercial areas however, recently they added new shopping areas and restaurants. Also, by having less live midnight clubs, the crime rate is also very low and therefore it is a safer neighborhood. Our neighbor cities such as Anaheim Hills, Placentia and Brea have all the cuisine and live entertaintement and that is why I love Yorba Linda because all the shoppings, fine restaurants and entertainment centers are nearby and you can drive the towns without having to access freeways and yet still live in a city surrounded of beautiful homes rather than overcrowded commercial areas.
If you have any questions please call me.
Victoria
Hi Rudy,

That was good info you got there. I live in Yorba Linda and just cruise along the neighborhood and pretty much know where everything is but I am glad to find this blogsite. Yes, Macy Yorba Linda's tag line is "Land Of Gracious Living" and it pretty much summarizes our way of life in the area. The regional park by La Palma Avenue as well as the bike/walk/jog lanes add to its healthier lifestyle and the manmade lake by Eastlake Village is fun too. As for restaurants and shopping, we go to Brea which is just straight down Imperial Highway. I don't know, did I make a good pitch on Yorba Linda? LOL
Hi Mary,

I moved to the CA beach area, and have never not lived near the water since. From CA, I moved to Greenwich, CT, close to the Long Island Sound. Now I live on the Jersey shore, a few blocks from the ocean. So....I do understand.

When I lived in CA, I had to be at LAX frequently and most of my social life revolved around beach activities or friends who lived in a beach town. For me, at that time of my life.....I spent no time at "home". I ran in and out, and my home was only a place to store clothes, sleep and leave. As wonderful of Yorba Linda was, I would not have become part of and involved with that community at that time of my life. Today, I would. Today, I would enjoy living in YL. Before, I would have only had a longer drive to run in, change, pack a bag, and leave.

If you spend time in Yorba Linda (which I would not have), you will fnd and enjoy so many great things about it. Beach areas vs. Yorba Linda.......a personal choice, but YL is terrific.

I have no vested interest in YL or the beach areas today. I am a happy camper on the Jersey Shore...with some time spent in Florida.

Deborah
Deborah Madey, Real Estate Pro in Red Bank, NJ
My husband was just transferred there and he loves the area. So we've been looking at real estate, we currently rent and we can comfortably buy a condo there we think. I'm just not sure how I feel about being so far from the water.
Hi Macy,

I am not a Realtor in CA, but I formerly lived in both Long Beach (Belmont Shores area) and Placentia right at the Yorba Linda border.

I loved the quiet rural feel of Yorba Linda, but was at a stage of my life where the beach, and social scene was more important to me. I commuted to the LAX area frequently, had friends in Redondo, Manhattan, Newport and Laguna.

It was a while ago that I lved there, but still visit CA regularly. Ironically, some of my beach friends now live inland. I always liked Yorba Linda a lot. Brea has grown a lot since I moved away from the area. Yorba Linda is not desolate, but it is more relaxed and does have a storng sense of community. I have very fond and warm memories of CA.

Deborah
I have a lot of friends in Yorba Linda! It's very pretty and a great place to live. Laarni is right about the 91 fwy. During rush hour and the side streets when schools start and end can be a bit much. It may be a bit of change from the Long Beach area. Why are you moving and what made you decide Yorba Linda?

East Lake Village is one of my favorites!! It has a great club house on a huge man made lake. The homes that are on the water have little docks and those peddle boats!! Great area to jog, play golf, and tennis!!

Cassandra
stay away from Buena Park. YL much better area
Hi Macy,

I happened to live in Yorba Linda and I would not want to live anywhere else. The city is close to the 91 and 57 fwys. It has outstanding schools from the elementary to high school. We are not too far from the Brea Mall nor the South Coast Plaza, OC Performing Arts. You can choose between the Ontario Int'l or John Wayne Airport. The beaches and UCI are just down the 241 and the canyon which will be a state park isliterally, our backyard. The only disadvantage is the freeway drive to 91 east during rush hour but then again, you can take the side streets. Drive around one time and see for yourself and if you need an agent in the area, I am at your service.
BR,
Laarni