General Area in Atlanta>Question Details

A Reddick, Renter in Atlanta, GA

Does anyone know the area at 2nd Ave/Flat Shoals in Decatur, GA? I'm considering renting a home there, but don't know how nice of an area

Asked by A Reddick, Atlanta, GA Mon May 21, 2012

it is.

Answers

5
Dave Herren’s answer
I do not know the area well, so given your short time frame, I would research crime stats and schools, and use Google street view to see what the neighborhood looks like and what kind of cars people drive around there. I like schooldigger.com for shcools and demographics.

Dave Herren
I found a nifty website called Spotcrime.com. You can plug in the address of the property you would like to rent and it will show you how many crimes occured in the surrounding area. It seems to be updated every few hours with the latest information.

Hope that helps a little!
Web Reference: http://www.NestAtlanta.com
you may want to check with local police precinct just to check crime statistics, etc. (always a good idea).
That's what I would normally do, but I currently reside in TX and need to make a rather quick decision on housing before actually relocating. So my objective is to get the opinions of some who are familiar with the area.
Why don't you drive around the neighbourhood at different times of the day and night, with the windows down and with your family in the car.

Talk with neighbours and with the Dekalb police officers who work that beat.

I have many friends who live and work in the area - there are lots of beautiful mid century ranches and plenty of 21st century Craftsman builds over that way.

It's very convenient - Decatur and Atlanta are both just ten minutes away.
Web Reference: http://Intowninsider.com