General Area in Columbia>Question Details

Julie, Home Buyer in Lutherville, MD

Does anyone know much about the fairly new development called Maple Lawn in Fulton, MD?

Asked by Julie, Lutherville, MD Tue Mar 27, 2012

I'm considering buying a single family home in there. It's mostly townhouses. A lot of the commercial space looks empty. How many people already live there? What does the community outside Maple Lawn think of it?

Answers

9
Upsides: no yard work. Has natural gas so heating costs are low. 4 restaurants, lots of sidewalks to move around on. Community open spaces. Downsides: community fees high at approximately $240/month for condo, which gets you yard work, club house, and pool. lots of traffic noise if you are near a street, which is just about every house, because none have much yard to separate the house from the street. The nearby turkey farm makes the entire community smell awful about 30% of the time. The nearby cow farm has a similar problem, but that should go away in about 2 years for more housing. I have it on good authority that the turkey farm will be there at least another 10 years. There is no bike or walking trail connecting the community to Columbia. Parents let kids play in the alleys between houses, so when a baseball gets hit with a bat, it is stopped by someones house or car. Parents won't send there kids to the community spaces, if they are younger because it is some distance from some houses.
Many professionals have already answered your question. I also have sold property in this upscale community. It offers many ammenties one of which is a community pool, nicely maintained. My son bought and sold his home when he was transferred and it held its value three years later. The surrounding communites consist of older homes and other new developments. It is a nice mix of old and new and still keeps its country setting. Highland, Clarksville and Howard County Laurel are surrounding neighbors. If there is any additional concern or requests, let me know. I can also send listings for your consideration. regards, John
Maple Lawn has a lot to offer, as you can see from all the wonderful comments. Not a lot more to add to the descriptions.

As a Buyer, you may want to think seriously about having a professional Realtor represent you during the buying process. Accredited Buyer Representatives offer great experience and professional guidance.

If you would like, or need, more information about ABRs, feel free to contact me through my website below.
Maple Lawn is a planned community which, I must admit, I wasn't to sure about when it was first proposed. Now that I've shopped and dined there, and sold some property there, I really like it. The concept is small town, and now that there is more 'there' there, it's really charming. Many of the single family houses are in the early sections built on the northern side, off Johns Hopkins Road. Good planning has put the townhouses along the main roads and closer to the commercial areas. The offices are filling up, the restaurants are busy, and the shops are improving their sales. When the retail area first opened, there were some high-end start-ups that were great, but just couldn't survive in the recession, and wouldn't have anywhere else. Now, the boutique owners tell me traffic and sales are increasing. Harris Teeter is there, and wouldn't be if it didn't think it could make a go of it.

I encourage my buyers who are Washington-oriented but need access to Baltimore and BWI Airport to consider Maple Lawn unless they need a big yard. For statistics, information, and home values, take a look at http://www.houseinhowardcounty.com.
Maple Lawn is a wonderful community just south of Columbia and Baltimore in Howard County. Construction is still ongoing - all types, condos, town homes, single family. There are several business and restaurants with room for more. Everyone I have placed there LOVE it! I would be happy to show it to you sometime. Feel free to contract me Nancy Cumminsl Long & Foster Real Estate 410-294-4464.
It is a nice community and is well thought of in the area. Harris Teeter Grocery located there because of the growth in population. My guess is that there are about 10,000 + or - that currently live there. It is not going to be huge. Columbia is just down the road with a population of 100,000.
Maple Lawn is a beautiful new community within walking distance of the downtown. Prices have dropped dramatically since it was first built several years ago making it more affordable now.
It is located in Howard County that has one of the top school systems in the nation.
You certainly picked a great community! I have several clients that have chosen Maple Lawn to be their home and even a Doctor client who has chosen Maple Lawn for his practice! The commercial space allows for you to live close to the conveniences. Shopping, restaurants and even Doctor offices are just around the corner. I have a few properties that I can send you if you like. Please let me know! Nick@WaldnerWintersTeam.com
Maple Lawn has a great reputation. My business partner lives there with her family and she loves her neighbors and community. The community is set up so that neighbors socialize and kids play in common areas. The community center and pool are also great meeting points. The location in Southern Howard is also ideal for commuters to DC, Rockville, Annapolis, Ft Meade or Baltimore.

Let us know if we can show you what is available. Living in the community we have first hand knowledge of it.