General Area in Chicago>Question Details

Kelly, Other/Just Looking in Chicago, IL

Does any one know of programs that donate cars to needy families?

Asked by Kelly, Chicago, IL Wed Aug 8, 2007

Answers

20
I want to start this off by saying my post is absolutely true because sometimes I have a little fun on here:

I donated my car a few years back by putting an ad on Craigslist. I figured the best way to donate was to cut out the middle man and meet the needy myself. I had an older Nissan with a ton of miles but still running. Anyway, I asked for people to write 'why they needed the car". The answers went from the absurd to the tear jerkers.

In the end, it wasn't easy, as there were so many compelling stories, but I chose somebody who I felt would most benefit from the vehicle, met the family, had an amazing moment of humanity (after the initial shock that they were actually getting a car, clean title an all, for free) and made my wife happy by guaranteeing she'd never have to look at my old clunker again.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Mar 19, 2014
it seems if i don't answer twice, my first one doesn't show up.... so I am going to double post... I truly need help. I have 2 sons.. one is married and has baby and lives with me due to medical needs. I am disabled and am trying to support all of us at the moment. His car got totalled and my car is on it's last leg... it needs fuel injectors or transmission or somthing.. I dont' know... but i am now a memeber of http://www.freecharitycars.org/ and am hoping they can help. It seems like a good site.. You may try that... if you do, PLEASE use my name "DownOnLuck " in the sponsor line so I can get your votes towards earning a car from them. Thank you and best of luck to all....
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 9, 2010
http://www.freecharitycars.org/ I am a member here. and i know they have given away some 4000 cars in their time But you have to work at it. work hard toget folks to vote foryouandyour story really needs to touch their hearts. yet the Morecars they get Donated to the more cars they can give out
from their Page

(DBA Free Charity Cars) is a 501-C-3 non-profit charity, EIN 59-3362703. Established in 1996, our founding mission is to provide refurbished donated vehicles to struggling individuals or qualified entities. Considered the pioneers of the free car-ownership concept, our entrepreneurial organization is totally self-sufficient and succeeds without a penny of government funding. Year after year, our charity leads the nation in awarding free vehicles to deserving candidates across America (over 4000), many times paying for the down-payment for auto insurance, as well as the tag, title and registration fees. Additional auto related assistance provided may include mechanical repairs, body-shop repairs, roadside assistance, warranty purchases, parts purchases, rental cars, or even the down-payment for the purchase of a new or used car.

I can ask please if you go here I do get credit towards my own Much Needed car if You add to the Sponsered by block LadyDraco when You sign up
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jul 26, 2009
Hi, my name is Corrina and I am a mother of 2 children. Allysa 2yrs and Grayson 9 mo. I have 2 part time jobs that I just acquired and I need to get to these jobs to support my family. I want to work at standing on my own without public assistance. I recently have had a friend driving me to interviews, my counseling sessions, doctors appts, grocery shopping etc. I really need help. I can not afford to buy a car outright and I have no credit to go on. Please..if there is anyway you can help me would be a true blessing.

Corrina McDonald
Flag Mon Sep 16, 2013
There are quite a few companies that provide this service. Just as Deborah said they come and pick up your car, you choose the charity you wish to donate the proceeds to, and it is done! Here are some links to some of those charities in your area., this list is by no means comprehensive but hopefully it gives you a starting point. Be aware though when looking around for car donation organizations that may knowingly or unknowingly work with untrustworthy towers, here's an article from CBS Chicago that shows just that: http://cbs2chicago.com/investigations/local_story_332221106.html. The links that I'm providing below, I've done some research on and should be perfectly safe to donate to:

1) http://www.donateforcharity.com/illinois.html
2) http://chicago.citysearch.com/profile/44516410/chicago_il/ha…
3) http://www.outreachcenter.com/

It's such a great thing that you are doing something like this, kudos to you! Hope these links help with the search!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Aug 9, 2007
Hope this helps!
KARS4KIDZ
kars4kidz.org
I am a inventor who has 3 patents on a system that predicts electrical fires 8 hours in advance. I am close to having these units manufactured. I need a reliable car to finish making real moves. God bless you. my phone number is 312-376-6227
Willow Creek Community Church in Barrington has a cars for single moms program. You will need to call them to see if you qualify.
I def. Need help. 38 weeks, homelessn with no job and sleeping in a wrecked vehicle with no heat, if there is a heart that feels this is it, contact me at 704-675-6944
I am asking the same question, for freehold New Jersey, I see a lot of places that collect cars for the needy but t here is no mention of where to apply for a car. If anyone has any information it would be greatly appreciated.

Trish NJ
Hello Everyone,

I will try to make this long story as short as possible. I was unemployed for 2 years and got a decent job August of 2011 along with a company car, I was just laid off from this job on August 6th of this year and also lost my sole means of transportation. My home went into foreclosure while I was unemployed for 2 years, I fought to keep my home of 12 years for my Fiance and 2 dogs. I just got the modification approved and completed (after 1 year of fighting for it) and my 1st trial mortgage payment is due between September 1st and the 14th. In addition to this mess I had a company car with my last position and my employer took away the car with no notice. I have spent the last year working so hard trying to rebuild my life and lost so much in 1 day. We have a baby girl due to arrive on or around October 21st and my Fiance will be going on maternity leave October 1st. We have no way other than extremely limited public transportation to get my Fiance to her weekly Doctor appointments or myself to job interviews, without a car I guess we'll be calling an ambulance in October when she goes into labor. Unemployment is only reporting that I will be getting $225 a week because I didn't work in 2009 and 20010. We desperately need a car for job interviews and Doctor appointments. Together we can just barely pay the mortgage but we cannot afford a car that we so desperately need right now. We are both very scared and don't know what to do, I am spending 60 plus hours a week online looking for jobs. I apply for everything I am qualified for even though I don't know how I would make it to the interviews if I am lucky enough to get one. We are very desperate and have never asked for a handout from anyone, my Fiance's Father also has Parkinson's and is collecting a small social security check and I have no family left to lean on. We are fully prepared for our baby girl and can now only pray that I get a job very quickly. I have 20 years experience in transportation, distribution and internet marketing for a dealership, 15 of these years have been in management capacities. Thank you for reading and please pray for us so that we may make it through this major struggle. If anyone knows of any charity organization that can donate a car to our needy family then please contact me, we are barely staying afloat right now and will be sunk by October. Please email me at clwindy1@gmail.com if you know of any resources for us. Thank You.
Try Willow Creek Community Church in Barrington, IL. They have a cars program for single mothers.
Flag Fri Aug 24, 2012
HELLO MY NAME IS IGOR Melnichenko NEED HELP I AMDISABLED I HAVE 58 YEARS AND I HAVE ONE ON MY LEFT LEGULCER, MAKES ME YEARS HAVE SURGERY 14 TIMES THANK GOD I CAN WALK THIS ULCER BUT I HAVE THE PROBLEM IS THAT I DO NOT HAVE A GOOD CIRCULATION IN MY LEGS I CAN NOT BE STOPPED AND MUCH MUCH I CAN NOT WALK WHO CAN HELP ME, I wrote CHURCHES TO ORGANIZATIONS ANDNOBODY ANSWER ME, MY WIFE HAVE TO WORK PART TIMESTUDY ENGLISH I HAVE A CHILD OF 7 YEARS, I HAVE TO TAKETHE BUS grab TO SCHOOL AND I HAVE TO GO TO THE DOCTORAND I HAVE TO WAIT LONG STANDING AND HURT ME MUCH, PLEASE IF ANYONE CAN HELP TO GIVE A CAR OR MAKE A DONATION TO ME AND MY FAMILY MY ADDRESS IS 4336HARGRAVE ST ORLANDO FL 32803 PHONE IS MY 407 -486-3266, PLEASE HELP ME, THANK YOU GOD FOR BLESSING TO YO U AND YOUR FAMILY. Igor Melnichenko principeruso
i would like to know how to recieve a donated car and what the process is im a single mother of 2 my son has VSD and has to see a heart specialist and he also has ashma and my daughter has ashma as well i do not have means of transpertation to get him to see him specialist at uva when he needs to go i just need to know the process and how i can recieve a donated car thank you for your help if anyone out there can help me please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I also am now a member of http://www.freecharitycars.org/ It is looking as if they may can help eventually. It's definitely worth a shot. My car barely runs and I have children to take to dr appts and stuff. I need help desperately and am hoping to find it there. If you sign up there, please enter my username DownOnLuck as sponsor.. ty and best of luck to you all.. I hope each and every one of us gets the help we need in these hard times. God Bless and best of luck...
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 9, 2010
Charity.com has car donations to help needy families.
Charity Cars have helped Hurricane Katrina families as well.
By donating to Charity Cars, a 501c3 non-profit, you can still deduct the full "Fair Market Value" if we provide your vehicle to a disadvantaged person
The Salvation Army has a car donation program. They will accept any car as long as it runs. You may want to check with them, as I do not know what happens to the cars once they are processed by them. Also, I believe that Amvets, or Purple Heart Veterans has a car donation program, but I do believe that those cars go to needy veterans or they may sell them for a profit to help needy veterans.
Web Reference: http://www.VassiSaviano.com
what about receiving help from one of these charities ,do they actually help anyone?all we ever get is the run around!
a charity that will donate a car to a need family.. I am a survivor of domestic violence, work and go to northern essex com college. I have been unable to afford a car since i left my abuser in 2005. the program i am in will help (mass Rehab) will help with gas and repairs if i can find a vehicle.

I have done this. There are several companies that will come pick up your car and allocate the donation to your choice of a list of charities.

I contacted my charity of choice, where I wanted the donation to go, and asked them which company they recommended I use. While the same charity might have existed on another car programs list, I felt more secure in this method of choice.
Deborah Madey, Real Estate Pro in Red Bank, NJ
Check with the JCC in your area they can be helpful.
Pam Winterba…, Real Estate Pro in San Ramon, CA