General Area in Valencia>Question Details

Laura Coffey, Real Estate Pro in Santa Clarita, CA

Do you go/do to Open Houses in the Rain?

Asked by Laura Coffey, Santa Clarita, CA Sun Mar 20, 2011

I'm typically not afraid of a little rain but it is pouring heavily here in Valencia Ca. I am suppose to do an Open House that I have been advertising and I will go but I'm wondering if buyers stay indoors typically in "sunny Ca." when it rains? I also wonder if agents get result from "Rainy" Open Houses? I have to admit the sound of constant sirens has be a bit scared heading out.....

Answers

16
Linda Urbick’s answer
Laura

As a follow-up to my earlier answer - I did do an open house today - rained off and one - poured at one time. Had a terrific turn-out . 3 buyers to work with. You just never know.
I'm glad your open house was a success!
Flag Thu Jan 29, 2015
Good Day Laura;
The bad news is that the turnout is a lot smaller during nasty weather. But the good news is that whoever does show up are very serious buyers!!
Good Luck
Web Reference: http://www.321property.com
I have heard that if it is cold and rainy your activity at an open house goes down dramatically but I am an optimist and I beleive that only truly serious buyers go out on cold rainy days! Rain or Shine the open house must go on! :)
Let it rain, let it rain!! Hi Laura, sounds like you know how to hold the perfect open house by planning ahead and marketing it in advance. I'd say go for it. Phil is right about serious buyers being the only ones to show up and you will definitely stand out to the home owners in the neighborhod when they see your signs out. Good luck. Oh wait a sec, it just started pouring outside. Just be careful if you do decide to do it.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Mar 20, 2011
I have found that a good mat at the door and foot booties protect the property (as you know us Virginia's have been swimming this year). I do my open houses because they are lead generators and a reputation of being there come rain or shine is a good one to have. Besides - there is no better way to open a discussion with someone you don't know with "It's raining cats and dogs today! How are you?". So be the sunshine in their day and smile away - Good luck!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Mar 20, 2011
I was looking at open houses on a rainy day and one open house was canceled but all the others were busy with people. I don't think there is a hard/fast rule on this in SoCal unless the rain is so torrential it makes driving hazardous.

Of course, if the homes main selling point are its expansive and exquisitely landscaped garden, or the home is fully carpeted it may not be such a good thing.
Rain could actually bring people when nothing else can be done, you cant work outside in the yard, no gardening and if you are offering snacks or a give away, that is an extra draw
Hi Laura,

In General, if it is raining lightly, we leave this up to the owner, and it depends on the house, if there are new carpets, etc.

Kind regards,

Arpad
You never know. I had very busy open houses during the rain and the open houses when NO one came ( what a waste of time!). I think, it depends on the location, price and 'freshness' of the listing.
p.s. if it is owner occupied, I would probably reschedule. I would also re-schedule if the property is one month or more on the market.
Rain is so rare in here, but when it rains it pours:)
I am not afraid of the rain. But most of my clients are not big about getting wet or seeing homes when it is raining. Based on my client's input, open houses are not really necessary. Especially based on how far technology has come and what you can see on the web. People are able to access anything and everything about the properties from their fingertips. Whether it be a phone, tablet, or PC, you can practically rule out a house in seconds and not waste time visiting its open house. Furthermore, in this economy, if it is priced right, it is going to sell without the need of an open house. These are the views of the buyers I have assisted over the past 6- to 12-month period.
Hi Laura,
The last Open House that I hosted during a torrential downpour was in the Hollywood Hills and not one person came to visit. I noticed that rocks and small boulders were falling down the hillside on my way up the hill. By the time I finished, there were small mudslides and debris in the middle of the road. I think the decision to host or not depends on the location of the property. I have personally visited many Open Houses in rainy weather, it does not bother me.
Felecia
Hi Laura,
I would never do an open house in this type of rain and it is rare for buyers to be out in this weather. However, I did get a call from someone who saw one of my listings online and then drove by and wanted to see it. I had a conflicting appointment so I referred him to another agent....he must be motivated!
You will get less traffic but if someone shows you can bet you have a more serious buyer.
Thank for the encouragement. I'm going to go for it!
Laura

It is about to rain here today and I will be doing my open house. Rain or shine if I have an open house scheduled I will do it. the results have been mixed - sometimes great turn outs on rainy Sundays and sometimes not so much.

As someone else mentioned - those who do show up in the rain are in the market to buy a house. Good luck.

Linda
Hi Laura. One of my past Open Houses was started before the rain came. After it started raining, I didn't get one visitor during the next 2 hours. Since then, if it rains before the signs are up I cancel. But I must say, I always think of the saying "look what the rain brought in". And think you never know, it could bring you a buyer! :) Cyndi Lesinski, Coldwell Banker Vista #01343529