General Area in Santa Monica>Question Details

Kazuo and Su…, Home Buyer in Fontana, CA

Do we comp the agent who worked on our behalf to buy a short sale home even though his fee is paid by the lender?

Asked by Kazuo and Susan Hirata, Fontana, CA Tue Jun 28, 2011

As a gesture of thanks, we took him and his wife to dinner.

Answers

6
Larry,

Over the years many grateful clients have brought us expensive bottles of champagne (one brought a whole case), nice dinners, etc... but in reality a fantastic review and proactive referrals are much more beneficial.
Congratulations... i would suggest have a good conversation with him and find out how much he made from the transaction, you can then decide whether or not you want to give him additional compensation or a gift... referrals and testimonials are often good... but for me personally the best part is when I see a happy client move into their new home with their family or an investor start collecting rents...

Good post!
Larry,
Nice job! Short sales are often a miserable transaction for all involved. The buyer’s agent is often the brunt of a buyer’s frustration as the listing agent waits for the bank. The nicest thing you can do for your agent now is to recommend them. Send them a handwritten note of praise they can use to document your satisfaction and write a good review of them on Zillow and other sites.
Larry,

Congratulations on the short sale. No need to comp, just write a good referral.
Larry, that is so thoughtful of you. The agent was well-compensated for his/her work I'm sure. The greatest thing you could do to thank your agent is to refer others to him/her.

Enjoy your new home!

Dot Chance
Web Reference: http://www.DotChance.com
I often see a gesture of thanks, I recommend you not go overboard, I always like when I get a $25 or $50 Star Bucks or dunking Donuts card, I leave them in my wallet and treat the family or fellow Realtors to a coffee, or with Dunkin Donuts, the kids love when I buy them Baskin Robins Ice cream since many of the DDs have them in their store! Believe me it will lift their spirits very much and show that you felt they did their job right for you!