General Area in Shadyside>Question Details

TF8482, Other/Just Looking in Pittsburgh, PA

Do homes generally sell more quickly in city neighborhoods like Shadyside/ Sq Hill? Any tips on buying here?

Asked by TF8482, Pittsburgh, PA Tue Aug 21, 2007

Answers

6
I apoligize for being harsh.
Thehob~
You make some very wild assumptions in your reply.

After looking over my previous answer and re-reading my reply, I realize that one section of my response does not read the way I intended it to. Since editing and spellchecking are not an option, I have removed my original reply so that my response is not misunderstood. Thank you for bringing this to my attention. When I replied to the original question, I cut my answer too short in a place where fewer words changed the intended meaning.

My original reply should have read: "There are pros and cons to BOTH city living AND to suburban living."

No need for personal attacks.
As a seller who reluctantly moved from Squirrel Hill to the 'burbs, I've noticed that homes in the city areas still tend to move while the houses in my suburban area languish forever.
I have to say that I find Carol's answer extremely provincial and discriminatory, not to mention outright ludicrous. To make the assertion that there are no cons to suburban living is beyond comprehension. Many people do not prefer the suburbs and to state that the suburbs lack any kind of cons makes me seriously doubt one who is professing to be a real estate expert and to call her candor into question.
As a real estate investor, homes sell much faster in these neighborhoods because of one thing. They're near Carnegie Mellon, the University of Pittsburgh, Duquesne University, Chatham University, and Carlow College. That's a lot of students, and what even more important is that MORE and MORE students are applying to these colleges, meaning soon there will be a shortage of housing and space in these areas. The growth rate of college students coming to pittsburgh last I checked was somewhere around 5-7%. I'll double check that statistic and update this post.

The first place students want to move off campus is Oakland, Shadyside, Squirrel Hill, Southside and secondary places are Bloomfield, Friendship, Regent Square, Highland Park, Point Breeze, and even Downtown.

If you're an investor, that's where you really want to find the deals to hold onto for the long run. They're also great neighborhoods to live in as well.

Joey Rahimi
Branding Brand
The most famous saying in Real Estate is "It Depends". If a home is priced right the the chances it will move quickly are good. It takes a very good buyers agent who can help you pinpoint what you are looking for quickly and who understands the area that you are looking in. If you are concerned about something moving quickly, ask your agent to set up a search for you matching your criteria in the Multilist System, and have them notify you as soon as something is listed. That way, you will be sure not to miss a good opportunity!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 14, 2007