BLitman, Renter in San Francisco, CA

Do I have a right to my deposit?

Asked by BLitman, San Francisco, CA Wed May 30, 2012

I found a room from Craigslist in a 3br apartment to sublease, paid a deposit and rent to the girl whose place I took, have handwritten "contract" just stating that I paid her the deposit and rent. None of the tenants (two others) were on the lease, but paid rent on time and manager of building knew all of us. After 3 months, one roommate started trouble (noise complaints, accessing the roof after hours) and we were evicted on the grounds we were illegally subleasing with ONE WEEK to vacate before he threatened to name us ALL on the unlawful detainer paperwork. The manager told me I would get my deposit back if I convinced us all to leave, I did, and havent heard anything from him since. What are my rights to that deposit?

Answers

2
Gabriel Rojas’ answer
Oggi nailed it!

Everyone can have an opinion on this but without a professional working on your behalf and without all the facts it means nothing. Contact the San Francisco Rent Board about this.

Gabriel
Contact the SF Rent Board immediately:

http://www.sfrb.org/

Oggi Kashi
Broker Associate, Paragon Real Estate Group CA DRE 01844627
All data from sources deemed reliable but subject to errors and omissions, and not warranted. truonly