General Area in Philadelphia>Question Details

Andrew, Home Buyer in Boston, MA

Considering relocating to Philadelphia area

Asked by Andrew, Boston, MA Tue Jul 8, 2008

I have a few questions for those who may be able to offer advice. I have worked at Bank of New York Mellon for eight years so my first question would be what you would think are the best opportunities in finance in the area. Also, I would be hoping to get a home in the 500K-600K area and ideally would like 3300-3700 square feet in a great school district and near (5-10 minutes) from major shopping centers/malls. Is that a possibility within 30-45 minutes of Philadelphia? I know Philly is cheaper than Boston but is it really that much cheaper outside of the city? Also, does anyone have any recommendations for communities where the homes may be 10-15 years old? Thanks so much in advance!

Answers

12
Andrew,

I'm licensed in Pennsylvania and New Jersey. Many who relocate to this part of the region find South Jersey to be another good alternative. Transportation is easy to the city by car or by train. In some cases it is easier to get into Center City from Jersey then it is from some of the suburbs of Philadelphia. Shopping is excellent as well with many restaurants, malls, etc. Feel free to private emal me and I can offer let you know about many communities on both sides of the bridge which may suit your criteria. In the interim you can search the local MLS by using this link http://www.mlsfinder.com/nj_trend/jeremyhill/ Here you can see all the available homes for sale.

Jeremy S. Hill, Realtor
jeremyhill@kw.com
609-876-5817
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jul 9, 2008
Hello Andrew, great post!
First, what type of finance are you in? I have a few connections at some of the banks in the area. Some that may be hiring are the PHLX, wachovia, Citi, Chase, Citizens.
I ran a search given the criteria you gave me and come up with over 200 properties currently for sale or under contract. I will try to post the link on here but if you would like it before I can figure it out then just forward me your email address and I will send it over, there is no obligation at all!
Web Reference: http://www.LeeStiber.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jul 8, 2008
You should take a look at King Of Prussia, PA., and taxes are low due to KOP Mall being there keeps property taxes reasonable.
The Classic Towns of Greater Philadelphia are 20 communities throughout the Greater Delaware Valley that may interest you because of their proximity to Philadelphia.

Some are in Pennsylvania and others are in New Jersey. No matter their location, they are all “classic towns” because they have preserved their history, their character, and their main street charm. They can definitely offer you a great quality of life.

The characteristics that define the Classic Towns are accessibility, walkability, and livability.
They have something for everyone.

You can take a closer look at these communities on their website http://classictowns.org/. The website highlights living, working, and playing in each of the Classic Towns so you can use it to learn about housing stock, recreational amenities, entertainment options, the business community, and much more.

Hello Andrew,
i'm a mortgage banker and i work locally in Pa/Nj area and i actually used to do a lot of work in Ma ( Boston) previously. I live in center city now but i grew up in such a community that you are looking for and there are a number of them in the philly suburbs but it all depends which area of the suburbs you are looking for. There is one called warmister where there are some beautiful houses, great schools, and compared to bucks county right next door the taxes are much better. Now you can go ther other way into Main line ( bala cynwood, radnor, willinova, ect...) Price wise as you know in the city you are always paying more for the smaller places and square footage how ever you are always going to have more appreciation on your equity, though that still depends on where in the city and where in the suburbs you'll end up. If you are interested in talking more please feel to contact me any time.

Alina Kanevsky
Lending Specialist

Mid Atlantic Capital
405 Kings Highway South
Cherry Hill, NJ, 08034
Phone: 856-429-2207
Toll Free: 800-232-5171 ext. 501
Fax: 856-429-4118

Email: akanevsky@midacap.com
Web Address: http://www.midacap.com
Andrew,

I would recommend the Bucks county and Eastern Montgomery areas. Centrally located to most shopping. School districts for you to investigate in Bucks county are Central Bucks, Council Rock, Pennridge in Montgomery county are Lower Morleand, North Penn, Hatboro-Horsham. There are lots of others for your viewing pleasure. I wish you luck in your search.
Web Reference: http://www.TeamRidolfo.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 6, 2008
With your specifiacation not too many new homes are being built inPhiladelphia, you may want to look into the Bucks County Area, these homes are in good school areas, generally within 15 minute to the mall, and 30 minutes by train into Center City
Andrew,

We share something in common, I use to work for BONY in Delaware (was a marketing manager in their credit card division, several years ago). As Lee (below) pointed out, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised to learn that you have lots of options in the Philadelphia metro area (Chester, Montgomery, Delaware and Bucks counties) based on the criteria you noted above. In fact, both Chester (ranked #10) and Mongtomery (ranked #9) counties were recognized by Forbes as the best counties (out of the top 20) in the entire country. To read more, click here --> http://www.pottsmerc.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=19840358&B…

If you have children, then you'll want to visit http://www.greatschools.net to learn about our local schools.

Andrew, if I can be of further assistance, don't hesitate to email/call me @ 484-888-4603.

All the best!
Hey Andrew,
I lived in Philadelphia suburbs all my life and relocated to center city 6 years ago. I would loe to give you some advise regarding where to re-locate. I do need to know a little more about what your are looking for regarding, school district? taxes? work? community? ect....Also, I work for a bank in lending sales and financial planning and half of my family and friends have been in finance so i'll be happy to give you some advise regarding that too. You can contact me any time.

Alina Kanevsky
Lending Specialist

Mid Atlantic Capital
405 Kings Highway South
Cherry Hill, NJ, 08034
Phone: 856-429-2207
Toll Free: 800-232-5171 ext. 501
Fax: 856-429-4118

Email: akanevsky@midacap.com
Web Address: http://www.midacap.com
Like many other established metropolitan areas, the Philadelphia area is comprised of neighborhoods. Within the search criteria that you have set forth, i.e. age of homes, proximity to shopping amenities, price range, and commute time, the western Main Line, Valley Forge, Malvern & Rt 422 Corridor (comprised of neighborhoods like Collegeville and Phoenixville) may be great situations for you. The area is dotted with new commercial developments, but carefully balanced by the local municipalities in preserving the open space that characterizes much of the area. Furthermore, the King of Prussia mall area, one of the largest in the nation, is also undergoing further expansion. Much of this corridor is easily accessible to all major roadways. It could also be considered a commercial hub as many global employers such as SAP, Wyeth, GSK, and Vanguard call it their headquarters. Good hunting!
First of all I would let you know that Chester county is the number one fastest growing in the country. From Chester county to Harrisburg which is in Dauphin county is a strong archway of steady consistent growth. Lancaster county has school districts that have been in the top ten highest rated districts in the state. It is a quick commute from the train to center city Philadelphia or by car is less than an hours commute. It does not depend on where you get your new position because finding the kind of home you would like will not be a problem. Pennsylvania is the right choice.
There are quite a few areas within 30 minutes of Philadelphia that offer great schools and nearby shopping centers/malls. There have been many recent new construction housing sites close to Philadelphia. Therefore, finding a younger home should not be difficult. Please call me at 215-676-0863 or email me at gslawter@comcast.net if you'd like me to serve your real estate needs. I'm very familiar with the Philadelphia suburbs. Let me know how I can help you, thank you and God bless.