General Area in 33160>Question Details

Rick Hill, Other/Just Looking in North Miami, FL

Condo Sale/Renters Rights

Asked by Rick Hill, North Miami, FL Mon Feb 23, 2009

Hello and thank you in advance for any answers. I rent a condo in Miami Florida from an owner. He has a buyer and is selling it. The new owners would like us to leave. Do we have to? I have a 1 year lease with 10 month's left on it. There is NO clause in the lease about selling or new ownership.

Answers

2
Your lease should survive the sale or transfer of the title to the property.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Feb 23, 2009
Rick~

In most all cases, the lease agreement survives the transfer- unless it is a foreclosure. If you do not agree to vacate upon the sale- you are not required to do so. Without seeing the actual lease- nobady could give you a definite answer. There are many resources available, I would investigate the Florida Landlord Tenant Act or seek the advice of a real estate attorney. Often, the buyer or seller will make a "deal" with the tenant in order to make them happy. Perhaps a lump sum payment to vacate of a free month's rent.

Florida Landlord Tenant Act - Below 1-800-HELP-FLA

Mott Marvin kornicki, Broker/Associate
Miami // Aventura // Sunny Isles Beach
http://www.WaterwayRealty.com