General Area in Harwich>Question Details

Lou, Home Buyer in Harwich, MA

Chatham or Harwich? What iare hinkley pond and long pond like? are they good swimming ponds?

Asked by Lou, Harwich, MA Tue Sep 22, 2009

Answers

3
Long Pond is the largest LAKE on Cape Cod. A lake is deeper and almost always bigger than a pond, but on Cape Cod the founding fathers used the terms interchangably. Hinkley's Pond is also a lake. Both are good swimming, boating, and fishing lakes. BUT, Long Pond allows boats to go fast enough for water sking, one of the few lakes on Cape Cod that does. Hinkley's Pond does not allow fast boats. Both lakes are great for sunfish, peddle boats, kayaks, etc. Hinkley's Pond is much less developed along the shore, and has far fewer waterfront properties. Hinkley's Pond has had some issues with water quality, but check with the Harwich Harbor Master.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Oct 12, 2009
I am an avid swimmer. Long Pond would be my choice. However most ponds are clean and it depends if you do laps or just swim short distances. Hinkly has no boats of any significance whereas Long Pond does. I swim at Buck's Pond and Long Pond. Harwich is a less expensive place than Chatham, however, Chatham has Lovers Lake, a most beautiful area. Check them out. Call me if you need help. I am a broker at Kinlin Grover in Harwich Port. 508-432-8800 MaryAndolina
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 31, 2009
Chatham vs. Harwich - purely personal preference...both have a lot to offer their residents and visitors. Chatham does have the lowest tax rate on Cape Cod - but most Cape town tax rates are less than other areas of the state and US to start with. Chatham has a great little downtown (village) and an abundance of shops and great restaurants. People love the free band concerts downtown during summer Friday evenings, supporting the Chatham Anglers Cape-League baseball team, local theatre, music, and much more! Harwich Port is a fun town as well. My suggestion is to spend a weekend here and visit each community, and decide for yourself which feels right for you. The good thing is that whatever town you decide on, you're only 15 minutes away (or less) from the other!