General Area in Cedar Crest>Question Details

Meghan, Other/Just Looking in Albuquerque, NM

Cedar Crest or Sandia Park, NM-any info?

Asked by Meghan, Albuquerque, NM Mon Oct 18, 2010

Hi! I was just wondering if anyone is currently living in or has lived in either of these towns. I would like to get some honest feedback about the area. I currently live in the Abq. foothills, so I am familiar with the area to some degree, but would like to know more about the schools and the overall feeling of the community. Also, how difficult is it to commute to Abq. in the winter? How fast are most of the roads cleared and how much snow do you generally get?
Thank you in advance!

Answers

3
Hi Megahan,
My family and I have been in the East Mountains for a total of 9 years after moving from Albuquerque's westside. We absolutely love it we often joke that we increased are life span and decreased our stress by no longer dealing with the westside traffic. In our 9 years we have lived in Tijeras off South 14, in Edgewood off of Mountain Valley Rd and currently in Cedar Crest. We have liked them all and each area has had it's unique character. Overall all we have found on very few occassions has the winter snow been severe enough that we take a snow day maybe 3 or less of these in the past 9 years. The roads are cleared very quickly it is helpful to have a 4wd vechicle and for roads not maintained by the county there has always been a neighbor with a plow that works the neighborhood roads. We love Cedar Crest it offers the best in location still rural with privacy yet minutes from a grocery store and multiple restaurants and only 15 minutes to Albuquerque. My wife is the realtor and would be happy to work with you just email her at Lucille@360venturesllc.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Oct 18, 2010
Sandia Park is farther from the interstate and Albuquerque and the land is a little less mountainous as it is farther from the foot of Sandia. Cedar Crest is more of a community (restaurants, grocery and hardware stores, gym, little shops, etc.) and in some places the houses are more consistently well maintained. My personal preference is Cedar Crest. The homes are typically a little more expensive in CC.

These towns are great places to live and to raise kids. The schools are excellent. San Antonito is the best public elementary school in the state. The community is made up of good people that make for great neighbors. Crime is almost unheard of. I have left my doors unlocked for 35 years and never had any problem. Getting to ABQ in the winter is usually easy. They make it a priority to clean N-14 quickly. There's maybe a few days per winter where it's tough going. We usually get less than 10 snow storms and maybe an accumulated total snowfall of 2 feet.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 30, 2012