General Area in Sausalito>Question Details

Stephan, Home Buyer in San Francisco, CA

Can you describe how Sausalito looks and feels for a person that has never lived here?

Asked by Stephan, San Francisco, CA Mon Apr 23, 2007

Do residents maintain their homes and lawns? Are there dramatic differences between different neighborhoods or zip codes? Is there a dominant architecture throughout the city?

Answers

7
If you did not know where you are , one would think you were on the northern coast of Italy, with the San Francisco bay to the east, Golden Gate bridge to the south, open spase to the west and the rest of Marin county to the north. Our town is just across the Golden Gate bridge and ten minuets from downtown San Francisco. Population of 7250.
Sausalito was originally started as a weekend getaway locale for San Francisco residents in the early 1900's. Over the years, it has still retained its charm as a tourist destination. It is very much like a seaside small town with sail boat masts sprinkling the water's edge and dozens of charming shops, much like the NE coastal towns...but warmer. The prices are higher here, so the population is an older, more affluent demographic. Since most of the homes are further up the hillside, and the weather is cooler (closer to incoming fog) in various areas of Sausalito, you should tour the areas with your agent to discover the various micro climates. All in all, it's charming and filled with eccentric characters. You'll love it!
To really get a wonderful perspective of this town you must see it from the bay!

The way the fog rolls over the hill is just amazing sometimes at dusk from the water looking up.

Purple/pink swirling, wispy ,rotating clouds with the smell of garlic and fresh local seafood wafting thru the sea air....
Seeing this with some just -caught local King salmon really was the greatest!
I fell in love on my first visit as a kid way back and still want to live there. Why join a gym? run up those hills for legs of steel.
If you don't like steep hills and smaller yards this may not be your town.
You won't find many Ca ranch homes on level lots here.
Weekends in summer are hectic but we need tourists who aren't burning gas or needing to park.
Sausalito to me has a very Mediterranean feel to it. I love the proximity to the water and the views from the hills, the greenery and the quiet. The restaurants are good, great supermarket, healthclub close by, biking path goes right through town and there are great hikes on the hills. The weather is a tad cooler than higher up in Marin County, which i like, and I can be in any restaurant in the city within 30 minutes. And here I don't have to lock my car nor my house.
I moved to Sausalito from San Francisco some years ago. I did not care for it at all. I was used the the hustle and bustle of the weekends in Sausalito, and came to find that the weekday and off-hours lifestyle was very quiet. Where I lived anyway, the neighbors did not want to know each other. It was very much a bedroom community, and quite a disappointment for me. It was, however, beautiful.
Sausalito has great weather compared to the City ... they escape a lot of our fog and it is usually warmer there on sunny days. To commute you can also take advantage of the ferry. I'd recommend renting a bike and taking it across the GG bridge and down into Sausalito and then take the ferry back to SF -- it's a great outing.
I've considered moving to Sausalito myself, especially the floating homes; but the thought of carrying groceries down the dock during our rainy season put a damper on my romantic dreams. It is also very hilly with small streets -- overall it's a very quaint small town with great views!
Just a little bit of trivia -- just south of the City is Brisbane, which is termed "the poor man's Sausalito" because of it's sunny weather and hilly nature with homes overlooking the bay.
Eclectic would be the most appropriate answer I can think of! Sausalito is one of the most well known waterfront communities in California with a style all its own. There is no defined style of architechure throughout this "village-like" town. It is more diversified, from the famous Houseboats on the waterfront, Tuscan style villas, cedar log homes, Spanish Mediterranian, townhomes and condos, you will find it all in Sausalito and it all fits well. Proud of its artsy reputation and extremely tight knit community, its a delightful place to live and location-wise, it does't get any better. You have the easiest commute possible to San Francisco (5 - 7 minutes) and a reverse commute for the rest of Marin. Everything you need is within a 15 minute drive, really. Wine country is a quick 45 minute drive. I frequent the Oakland airport (as I am licensed in and also live in Hawaii) and if I time it right, I can make it there in under 30 minutes. Sausalito is a great place to land!