Halley S., Home Buyer in New York, NY

Can you describe how Kensington and Parkville looks and feels for a person that has never lived here?

Asked by Halley S., New York, NY Mon Apr 23, 2007

Do residents maintain their homes and lawns? Are there dramatic differences between different neighborhoods or zip codes? Is there a dominant architecture throughout the city?

Heather’s answer
This answer is just for fun but with some neighborhood vibe info.

I was at the Cortelyou road Q/Station ( AT E15st) yesterday and went into a tiny deli for a fruit juice- and noticed that the bar two doors down had a live band playing- on Sunday, They had a good crowd who were singing along. They had the stage on the street side ( very smart I thought) It was an all female band with about 7 women called " Girls on Top" playing Classic Rock and Motown.
(They were HIGH ENERGY _rocking _OUT!! )
I went in to the deli, they were playing "Dancin In the Streets". When I came out it was " I Can't Get No Satisfaction"

Sadly I can really identify with that second one - If I get into this nabe it will probably be nearer the F train end of it,where the homes and lawns also look good.

Halley, just *avoid* the block of E16 street between Beverley and the dead end. Huge apartments. Train in back, even number side meaing tiny cement back yards.. Junk everywhere there is a little bit of sidewalk or lawn, and big ugly barbed wire fences protect transit property.

And it is right around the corner from E 17 and some of the most _enormous, posh, gorgeously maintaned Victorian mansion type houses that I have ever seen.
I just walked around there the other day- I live in nearby Windsor Terrace. Very nice housing- from large old prewar multi units to small houses with iron siding and everything in between. Seemed a little too car oriented for my taste, though there are some nice little shopping streets. But not the charm/over priced coffee of say Fort Greene or Park Slope. It feels very safe too.
lawns and homes are maintained up and down ocean parkway the zip code is 11218
Kensington is a diverse neighborhood, with a suburban feel. Houses are varied, from fully detached Victorians, to brick townhouses and more. There are many tree-lined streets, and it is a very family-friendly neighborhood.