General Area in 75204>Question Details

Nathan, Home Buyer in Dallas, TX

Can someone provide me with comps? Need to protest my property valuation. Address: 3407 San Jacinto Dallas, TX

Asked by Nathan, Dallas, TX Mon May 26, 2008

Will also be looking to buy another house toward the end of the year and may need an agent.

Help the community by answering this question:



First, don't wait for the comps. All you need to do to get this started is to send a letter to the county appraisal district indicating that you disagree with their valuation of your home. You need to get this letter sent via some guaranteed delivery method before the end of this month, or no later than 30 days after you received your 2008 appraisal district notice, whichever is later. Either get the standard form from the appraisal district's online site, or just write a letter stating you as the legal owner, identify the parcel of land using the tax id (add in the legal description just to be safe), and simply state you disagree with their valuation.

Second, if you want to win your case, you only get 2 chances to do so, one at an informal hearing, and one at a formal hearing. Actually, there is a 3rd, but that requires you to sue the appraisal district. The appraisal district is much more prepared than you are, so get an expert on your side and go have a formal appraisal done by a licensed appraiser. It will cost you about $350 or so, but once you have it, if the appraisal finds your value to be less than the appraisal district, it's nearly a shoe in that they will accept the appraiser's findings.

And the benefit of winning this year will not only impact this year's taxes, but following years as well. I have seen many a client of ours try to do this themselves and fail. We always recommend they get a formal appraisal.

As a safety net to spending $350 and finding out that the appraiser thinks your home is worth the same or more than the appraisal district, go ahead and use some comp data from those that offered it. But if they are offering it, have them do a CMA for you. If the CMA shows you are likely lower than the appraisal districts value, then go get the appraisal.

Good luck,

1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon May 26, 2008
Any realtor can pull up comps for your area. I would be happy to do so. Jeffrey's answer below is very good but there is an alternative to going to court with the appraisal district: binding arbitration. There is a form online that allows you to request arbitration through the State Comptroller's Office. You need comps, pictures, investor/owner information in your area, and $500 to register for arbitration. If you win, you get your value changed to what the arbitrator determines to be the market value based on the evidence produced by each side. Good luck!

Keller Williams Realty
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Jun 10, 2008
You can also go thru O'Connor & Assoc. out of Houston to protest your property taxes. But you have til May 31, to do it. They won't charge you if they can't get it down. They do charge if they can get it down and it's 50%. I just sent mine in for them to help me. DCAD refused to do anything last year. I live in Little Forest Hills and we are being taxed out of our little homes there.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu May 29, 2008
Bryan Place... Great area! Lots of activity and things going on down there.

Where do yo want me to send the comps?
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon May 26, 2008
I can asssit in your request. We also offer a Dallas seller flat fee mls listing, and Dallas home buyer rebate program can save you $1000's at closing or with your Dallas search homes for sale. In order for me do the comps I need additional info from you.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon May 26, 2008
I'll be happy to assist you and send you comps. Feel free to contact me and give me your email address.

Web Reference:
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon May 26, 2008
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Home > Texas > Dallas County > Dallas > 75204 > General Area in 75204 > Question
Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer