General Area in Needham>Question Details

Joe, Both Buyer and Seller in Brookline, MA

Can someone provide information on the different neighborhoods in Needham (pros/cons), not just based on price. Thanks.

Asked by Joe, Brookline, MA Thu Oct 29, 2009

I have two young kids but work downtown and am trying to learn which section of Needham would be best for my family. I know where the downtown area is and where the commuter rail stops are, but don't know much about the neighborhoods themselves. Thanks!

Sandy Tobin’s answer
Hi Joe, I think if you asked anybody in Needham they would tell you their neighborhood is best. That's because it's such a great town to live and grow up. Scott is right, there are denser neighborhoods with sidewalks and tree-lined streets where you can easily walk to town for an ice cream and then there are outlying neighborhoods where houses are spaced father apart and the zoning is one acre plus. Did you know that 25% of Needham is open space? That's what gives it its leafy feeling. There isn't a "bad" school in the district, so I think where ever you end up, you'll be happy. Hope this helps!
Sandy Tobin, Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage
Web Reference:
Realtors aren't allowed to recommend neighborhoods, but we can point you in the direction where you can find the information to help you make an informed decision for yourself. Try this link:
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Oct 30, 2009
Your best bet is to drive around the neighborhoods and depending on what you are looking for, you will see the differences the various parts of town have to offer. Some questions to consider- do you want to walk to a playground, to the town center, to the commuter rail, what house style do you like and how important is the yard?
Good luck! Thanks, Mary Crane Century 21 Commonwealth Needham, MA
I grew up in Needham but have not lived there since the early 1990s. I've been back a few times however, and not a lot has changed. The answer to your question is fairly predictable from a look at the map of the town. As you move north and east toward Newton into Needham Heights and Birds Hill, it gets a little more commercial and dense (although no residential part of town is particularly built up at all), and as you move out toward Dover, the Charles River Village area gets more rural. It's really all shades of tree-filled suburban, though. Great town for kids until they hit their teens and start to get bored.

Great parks, playgrounds and schoolyards all over, and the High Rock Town forest is one huge park.
This link is helpful, thanks. I'm not really looking for recommendations, just factual/descriptive info about different areas (e.g., if there are more parks in one neighborhood of Needham or one area feels more urban/rural). Thanks!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 1, 2009