General Area in Dallas>Question Details

Trulia Dallas, Home Buyer in Dallas, TX

Can real estate agents give unbiased recommendations for repair contractors?

Asked by Trulia Dallas, Dallas, TX Fri Nov 16, 2012

Answers

9
I can assure you that every referral I give is very biased.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 18, 2012
If you ask for us to recommend a contractor, it had better be biased - it had better be someone that we think will do a satisfactory job for you. And, we don't guarantee it.

In my experience, more than two-thirds of the problems with contractors have to do with communication, rather than cheating. With that in mind, customers would do well to hire a contractor they communicate well with, rather than relying simply on bids.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 18, 2012
I think so. I only refer clients to reputable contractors I used before, so I can be sure about the quality of their work but I make it clear that they should interview contractors and get quotes.
Sure. I generally give you a few to choose from that have been really helpful and well talked about among home owners, and real estate professionals and personally speaking.
We always run the risk for being blamed if something should happen but by giving you the ultimate choice to choose from a solid group is also comforting.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 17, 2012
Yes I have refer people to some of the contractors I used before. I always make very clear that they know that it is just a recommendation. Even so, I always only refer my clients to my contractors that I can trust as it can really damange my reputation.

Dixon
JP and Associate
http://www.findyourtexashome.com
Yes they can based on their experiences. Most agents maintain a list of contacts to help their ciients, but it's usually best that whoever you choose to make repairs that you check them out fully and possibly through the BBB. If I were you I would call at least three potential contractors based on your research and input from your agent and others who may have used a contractor. Then interview them and pick one you choose to work with.

Gary Geer

http://www.ggeer.illinoisproperty.com
At Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage, we maintain a list of contractors that we recommend through our complimentary Consierge service. You can access this list through my web site, http://www.jerryvanpelt.com
Sure, but I agree with Kenny. I try not to do it, or if I do, I ask my client to sign a hold harmless for it. Contractors are a fluid bunch, many are not regulated or licensed, their subs change - the situation is fraught with potential for someone to be upset with us over something a contractor might do or might not do. I had this request today - I sent the client to Angie's List to find his contractor so he could see what other consumers had to say about the contractors he was interested in.
They can, but it isn't advisable as to legal issues.

Kenny
Turtle Creek Realty