General Area in Bethpage>Question Details

Ed Hodkinson, Real Estate Pro in 11714

Can anyone give me some good ideas on trying to tap the FSBO market? What are some good "ice breakers".?

Asked by Ed Hodkinson, 11714 Sat Jan 15, 2011

Answers

4
Ed, there is no magic bullet. The best way is to knock on the door and introduce yourself. Ask if you can bring a buyer to see the home. See if you can get a phone number with permission to call if you come up with a potential buyer. Find a reason to followup and then keep doing it.
Ed,

Converting FSBO's can take time but in our location 80-90% of these offerings eventually end up being listed with a real estate company. Thus, we feel that the best approach is to reach out and provide them with genuine support. Offer them forms, advice, local market information, etc. and when the time comes for them to face the reality of a successful FSBO and they throw in the towel...it's you they will remember.

"Plant a seed and watch it grow......"

Here is my experience from when we were selling our first house in Jamaica Estates (so you know I know the area). I was not connected to the business at all at that time, but of course we decided that we would try on our own first. We had an open house that was very crowded, and went very well. Then someone called in the evening to say that they couldn't make it during the open house, could they come at 7 pm the next evening. There I was, thinking I would be home with my 9 month old baby alone, my husband wouldn't be home from work yet, and I had no idea who it was that was going to ring my bell.
If they want to take that chance, then go right ahead. You never want to turn down a potential buyer, but at least when they come in with an agent, you know you are not alone.
Ed,

I absolutely hate door to door anything, so I have developed a better way to touch base with FSBO. First and foremost, I send them a spiral bound booklet that I have created from various information I have compiled over the years. Along with that, I send them a very short letter introducing myself and letting them know that if there is anything I can do to help speed up the process, I am here for them. In addition to that - on the first mailing - I include a two separate sheets describing short sale and foreclosure and how I can help if they are in trouble.

Then I print out pages of different types of information that will help them sell their home, staging tips etc. I put them in pre-addressed envelopes and I send out two per week for the first two weeks and then one per week after that for 6-8 weeks. I include my business card in every mailing.

I mark each envelope with a sticky tab with the date that it needs to go out.

It takes a little time to set it up initially, but after the first day, it is just a matter of dropping it in the mail.

I had a neighbor once call me to apologize for not calling me sooner to say that her best friend is an agent and if she were to list with someone she would go with her. But............she also said, if that wasn't the case, she would definitely list with me because of all of the helpful information she received and the great follow up.

Just one way.
Web Reference: http://www.lindacefalu.com