General Area in Raleigh>Question Details

gentry.pelti…, Other/Just Looking in Morgantown, WV

Bungalow or craftsman style homes in Raleigh?

Asked by gentry.peltier, Morgantown, WV Sat Jul 28, 2012

I'm sure there are these style homes in the Raleigh/Durham area, but uncertain of the neighborhoods they are in and at what price range. I am in the military and deciding between Raleigh, NC & Austin, TX as possible places to relocate to (if there is an opening) I will be visiting the Raleigh area in a couple of weeks to decide which one to make my 1st choice. Question is; what neighborhoods can I find these style homes and at what price range? I'm hoping to make my max budget 170k. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Answers

8
Gentry - Welcome to the Raleigh Triangle Area,

This is such a wonderful area. To answer your question, yes we do have Craftsman & Bungalow style homes. To keep within your price range, some of the neighborhoods I think you'll find closest to what you are looking for are

Newer Homes:
Carriage Heights in Fuquay-Varina - minutes to downtown Raleigh, Wake Cty schools (if needed), and a reasonable distance to Ft. Bragg if needed.
Villages of Charleston - Charleston Style but, very cute and close to the Craftsman/Bungalow style. Similar location as Carriage Heights above.
Lakestone Village in Fuquay-Varina might have something you like.
McKinley Mill - In Raleigh's 27616 zip code has some adorable Craftsman/Bungalow style homes. It will be further away from Ft. Bragg if you need to be close to there.
Flowers Plantation - located in Clayton/Johnston County and is convenient to Ft. Bragg. They have very nice homes.
Lions Gate - in Clayton/Johnston County would be one to check out.

Older Homes:

If you want an older home (early to mid 1900's) and more of a true Bungalow or Craftsman Style home, you may look closer to downtown Raleigh or other downtown areas at some of the homes listed below. They tend to be very charming. You may or may not need to make some repairs/upgrades and there may be some not in a subdivision. Also look at the room count and bathrooms.

Historic Oakwood
Georgetown
Mordecai
Historic Distric of Apex or any town

Boylan Heights is a popular area but, you probably won't find anything there for less than $200k - $250k.

If you're not working with a Realtor, I highly suggest you do. There's a lot to consider when choosing a home in this area.

Feel free to email me directly - cfreund@fmrealty.com should you have any additional questions.
Web Reference: http://www.carlafreund.com
Try looking in the historic Oakwood or the Mordecai historic area. There is also Hayes Barton area, Boylan Heights is good too,Cameron Village area, really depends on your price range.
Sitting down with a Realtor will help as we can pull up the homes that are available in your price range along with the style.
I hope that helps.Thank you for all you do in the military.
Sharon
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jul 29, 2012
You will have no trouble finding a charming bungalow or craftsman style home. The Raleigh market has an average home price around $275,000. That is not to say you won't find what you want for your target price range, but it will take some skill and diligence. If you are open to being a little outside the city, you might look at Wake Forest or Garner. I have a short sale listed in Garner that has a lot of charm and is offered at 159,000. You can see the details of this listing on my website under "featured properties", http://www.movetoraleighdurham.com. You might also look at Durham which is close to Raleigh and offers good resale.
Sounds like good advice.
Flag Mon Jul 30, 2012
I lived in Austin for 10 years (1985-94) before moving to Chapel Hill, and love NC at this point in my life. Your life style is more than a house, so my advice is to visit both cities, see how each feels to you. In Austin, one of the areas is SOCO--South of Congress where you'll find houses you like. It is also very desirable these days.

Summer is hot and miserable in both places, though here we have trees and lush green vegetation. Here is why I prefer NC: it is a much easier place to get integrated into the community. Austin has changed, but I found it filled with native Texans, not as many people from all over the country and diversity of origin.

When I was a career counselor in UT Austin, I'd ask students if they were willing to relocate for a job. "Oh yes, I'll go anywhere--Dallas, Houston, San Antonio." To me, that sums it up.

Still, you have a wonderful opportunity to explore and figure out the right place for you. By the way, I love visiting Austin and Raleigh, but would rather live in Durham because it is going through an exciting transformation.
Web Reference: http://crazyvivhomes.com
How is Durham transforming?
Flag Sun Jul 29, 2012
Hi!

There are some lovely homes here in the Triangle and yes we have bungalow and craftsman style throughout the area and in your range. The where depends upon if you need to be near to the airport, or Fayetteville. And how much land are you looking for? I would be glad to run some searches for you to show you what there is out there for you to chose from.

Please call me and we will set up a search so when you come in to visit we can get right to picking out your house. 919-960-6321

Thanks and have a great day.

Dawn Anderson
Coldwell Banker HPW
Andersond@hpw.com
http://Www.andersond.hpwagents.com
A couple of neighborhoods come to mind, however, the prices will vary based on other features. For instance: location, number of bedrooms, neighborhood and other local amenities. Will you want to be within an hour of Fayetteville or Jacksonville? How about the airport?

Are there others in your family to consider, i.e., spouse? Children? In-laws?
Hello
You will love the Triangle area, I would be happy to assist you in you search.
Michael
Hey Genrty,

My name is Mark Pelshak and I am a Realtor in the Raleigh/Durham area. I would love to assist you with what you are looking for. There are quite a few communities that I can think of that offer these type homes. Call me at (919) 627.8087 or email me at Mark@PremiereTriangleHomes.com for more information.

Mark