General Area in Newtown>Question Details

Aim, Both Buyer and Seller in New Castle, PA

Brookfield vs. Newtown? Which neighborhood/school in Newtown?

Asked by Aim, New Castle, PA Wed Aug 8, 2007

We're moving up from Westchstr. No need to bear the expense of living 30 min. from NYC. I would greatly appreciate the advice that realtors not allowed to provide regarding good schools and nice family neighborhoods. Thanks.

Answers

11
There is a lot to consider between those two towns. I would be happy to have the Manager of an office contact you who could answer all of your questions.
My friends tell me Brookfield may be a better buy.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Aug 8, 2007
Pam Winterba…, Real Estate Pro in San Ramon, CA
You can also research schools and demographics on the Cerc.com, choose the "Resources" tab and click on "Town Profiles" where you will see a map of all the counties in the state. Select a county and then a town within that county. (Example: Fairfield County - choose Newtown - the click "Download Latest Cerc Profile." This gives you Demographics, Economics, Education, Government, etc., etc. It's a great resource for side by side comparisons of different towns.
Both towns are good choices for what you are asking. A good place to go for shcool information is: http://www.schoolsk-12.com/. Then visit the schools that your children might be going to. Your choice of a home will determan the neighborood. The best way to answer your questions is to come for a visit and you will in short time be able to answer these questions for yourself.
I live over an hour from both towns, however, if you want a family town, Newtown is the place to go. I've heard fantastic things about Newtown's community and schools.
Put it this way, I do NOT have kids and that is why I'm not looking at Newtown. It's the perfect town for family where I'm looking at more" DINK" type towns to buy.
I'm sure Brookfield is great too. However, I've heard way more about Newtown.
It may be too late to answer your question, but I too was deciding between Brookfield and Newtown this past summer. In the end it came down to commute and house availability for us. However, I will tell you that I visited both school districts and am happy so far with Newtown. My neighborhood is perfect for bike riding and scooters. The kids all play outside together. There are lots of activities offered for children. It seems to me that Newtown is a strong community. People have been very kind and friendly. Neighbors come by the house to introduce themselves. At school, other moms hand me their phone numbers in case I have questions. I couldn't ask for more. Hopefully this is helpful either to you or someone else in the same situation in the future.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 20, 2009
All of the school reports, reviews & information on the internet are all subjective. I always that clients to talk to friends, family & co-workers who have childern or have had childern recently through the respective school system. If you don't know anyone in the area that can help you learn about the schools, I would recommened arranging visits with the town's superintendent of schools & also, when you think you might have found a house, schelude a tour of the local school & meet with the principal.
I suggest that you review some of the school websites that give reviews directly from the parents. There are also objective criteria that are used to compare schools on these websites such as average CMT scores and student teacher ratios.

There is also information available directly from the schools themselves which is available at our website below, created specifically for folks who are relocating.

http://www.greatschools.com
http://www.schoolmatters.net
There are several different real estate options to choose from, ranging from horse property, waterfront & lake communities, antiques and new/newer subdivisions. A good realtor should listen to your needs for all homes matching your search criteria, and it is your decision which neighborhood or neighborhoods feel right for you.

The average listing price for a single family home is Newtown (per CMLS 12/30/08) is $628,930 with a median of around $550,000. Over in Brookfield, the average price is $666,227 with a median of $528,000.
I see that you posted this question quite awhile ago yet haven't gotten a real answer. If you are interested in the schools in the various towns, you can visit my website and get all of the answers you are looking for at http://www.ListedbyJan.com and go to Local Resources. This will give you all of the information about any school district, demographics, town information, local events, etc. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Jan Sansevera
ABR, e-PRO, REALTOR
Web Reference: http://www.ListedByJan.com
Thanks realtors, but bottom line I want to find a neighborhood where children are riding their bikes, located in a school district where parents are involved and children are happy and performing well. As a buyer I'm learning that I'm up against the Fair Housing Laws where you, agents, may not be able to or believe you are not able to discuss the merits of the school districts, cannot tell me which is a good family neighborhood, and are reluctant to tout one neighborhood over another. I would love to hear from people living in Newtown or Brookfield and why Brookfield may be "a better buy".