General Area in Myrtle Beach>Question Details

Olive1234, Home Buyer in Myrtle Beach, SC

Best Schools and Family friendly neighborhoods/subdivisions???

Asked by Olive1234, Myrtle Beach, SC Mon May 2, 2011

My husband and I are considering relocating to the MB area with three small children. When visiting, we fell in love with the Murrell's Inlet area and Surfside Beach. Great schools are a must so I am wondering which districts are the best. Also looking for a family friendly subdivision where the kids can make new friends. We would love to be within 15 minutes of the beach if possible, but are willing to look into areas farther west if needed. Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated as we start this new journey!!!!

Answers

5
Hi Olive,

It is actually illegal for a Realtor to "steer" a buyer to a specific school system, that is why some of the realtors are suggesting you go to a website, which is truly the best thing to do. The two below have given you good information.

Having said that, there are a few good school systems around.

Here are a couple of great areas specifically for families with kids,

Carolina Forest and Forest brook.

I would be more than happy to discuss the options in these areas with you.

Thanks again and have a pleasant day!
Olive ..As you know a lot can go into picking a school. I would suggest trying a web site like http://www.greatschools.com while on the web. Then personally when you make a trip down plan part of the day and drop by the schools of the homes you like, putting everything together for the best results based on your likes and dislikes. Now If you want a great site to search local homes live from every agent and company try http://www.Myrtle-beach-homes.us here you can save favorites and track your favorites. Good luck on your search and if I can help along the way please feel welcome to contact me.
I agree that good schools for your three children is vitally important. The website to learn more about the Myrtle Beach area schools is http://www.horrycountyschools.net. My son is graduating from the Academy of Arts Science and Technology next month so I have a little bit of experience with our local schools. Here is my "parent to parent advice" about the Myrtle Beach area schools - be involved in your child's education by getting to know the administrators and teachers, by communicating regularly with them and by partnering with them as they teach and mentor your children. If your children are capable of taking an honors tract they will essentially be in a private school within a public school. That said, the schools in the Surfside and Murrells Inlet area are good. So are the Myrlte Beach and Carolina Forest schools. Each of the area high schools offers some additional arts and educational programs that might sway your decision. Myrtle Beach middle and high has an incredible orchestra, Carolina Forest High has an amazing show choir, Socastee High has the IB program, all schools can refer students to the Scholars Academy, some of the schools offer different sporting programs, etc.

The Carolina Forest area, for example, is made of of many, many neighborhoods with homes that will comfortably accommodate a large family. Some of these neighborhoods offer large pools, soccer fields, playgrounds other amenities that kids enjoy. And the best part is that you are only 15 minutes to the beach! To better advise you I need to learn a little more about you and your family. Feel free to phone or email me direct at 843-997-7299 or LoriHarper@sc.rr.com. I know this is a big decision for your family and wish you all the best for your new journey!
Web Reference: http://www.LoriHarper.com
Great response Lori. In addition to Socastee High having the IB program, they give out millions of scholarships and last year I witnessed many students there have their entire college education paid for due to the diligence of counselors. I worked in the school system, so there are many many wonderful options based on your specific goals. Good luck!
Flag Sun Mar 2, 2014
Olive,
I live in Surfside Beach & relocated my family. We love it here. Murrells Inlet is a great place as well. There are at least a dozen family friendly neighborhoods in these areas that are in good school districts. I would be happy to assist you. Please feel free to contact me directly.
As a husband to a local elementary school teacher I can tell you that you would not be disapointed with the St. James and the all new Burgess elementary school in Murrells Inlet.
West of Myrtle Beach you will also find several options availabble to you in the Carolina Forest school district.
For local school ratings paste this link into your web browser: http://jbuehler.myrtlebeachreal.com/communities/
I hope you find this information useful.
If I can be of further assistance please feel free to contact me.

Jeff Buehler
Myrtle Beach, SC
843-222-7813
jbuehler@kw.com