General Area in Chicago>Question Details

Tony Campos, Home Buyer in Naperville, IL

Best Chicago suburb for singles?

Asked by Tony Campos, Naperville, IL Wed Aug 21, 2013

I'm 30yr old single professional. I was about to pull the trigger on this 300K condo in Chicago (Belmont & Broadway). Nice area, but then I thought about:
* No parking
* Association fees
* Horrible traffic
* Little privacy
* Too loud
* Hard for resale
* Difficult to have a dog

The pros:
* Good night life
* Easy commute to work (I work in the loop)
* Tons of restaurant
* Close to the lake

I do not think the pros outweigh the cons, so I've decided that I want to get a house in the suburbs instead, but I still want to have a good lifestyle.

* I like to go out, but not that much, maybe once or twice a week. I don't care about clubs, I will usually just go to bar.
* I don't eat out that often, but when I do go out I like to go to unique restaurants; I hate those big chain restaurants
* I definitely want an easy commute to downtown Chicago for work. No more than an hour.

What do you think would be the best suburbs to move to?

Answers

15
Tony Campos’ answer
Note that I'm currently in Naperville. Yes it has a good nightlife in downtown, but it's mostly clubs for those 21yr olds. In a way, I feel Naperville is way too family oriented. Mostly married people with kids. And it's also quite far from the city. Other than that it's a nice place,
Tony,
Didn't you post a very similar question a few months ago? If you stay in the suburbs and buy a home, then you are not going to do any better than Naperville. If you still have an open mind then you should consider the South Loop. It has all the pros your Belmont an Broadway condo had with fewer of the cons.
Nick Radakovich Home Sales Realty
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Aug 22, 2013
So what if he asked a month ago. Add yourself to the long list of clueless agents in Chicago.
Flag Fri Jul 25, 2014
Tony:

Keep in mind that all of the suburbs are "family oriented". For that matter, when most people buy a Single Family Home, they are looking to live by other families. So I think you should consider buying a townhouse in Chicago in an attempt to get the best of both worlds. But I agree with some of the other posters here that Evanston may be a good choice for you. You can always take a quick train or cab to downtown Chicago if you are feeling like you need to get away from the suburban life. Let me know if I can help.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Aug 22, 2013
Most brokers will tell you which suburb they like best. Most suburbs are family orientated so you need to choose one that you can see yourself growing into over 5 years. In the NW 'burbs, I would say Park Ridge since it is close to the city with beautiful homes. West 'burbs, Elmhurst since they have a nice nightlife and even nicer homes/lots. SW 'burbs, would be Naperville but it is pretty far from Chicago.

If you would like some help, just give me a call at 847-533-7115. I go all over Chicago suburbs so I can help in whichever 'burb you choose!

John Meyers, Meyers Realty
c: 847-533-7115
e: JohnMeyers@MeyersRealty1.com
Naperville and Orland Park are my 2 favorites !!
Pick a suburb near the METRA line and have the best of both.
Hi Tony!
The Big question....Suburbs or Chicago? I live in the North Shore suburbs and my best friend lives in Chicago. We argue the attributes constantly.
First off, any suburb would suit you. If you like a nice downtown area or like a "walk to" area, I would recommend Glenview, Deerfield, Glencoe, Highland Park, Wilmette, Winnetka, Lake Bluff, Lake Forest, and a few more. Every suburb on the North Shore offers good outdoor activities, biking paths, easy access to Lake Michigan activities, etc. Any Nightlife can be found near by (Highwood etc) and you can get to an area 5-20 mins driving. Do you take the train or drive to Chicago? Big difference. There are several train stations throughout the North Shore and NW suburbs. Some areas are strategically closer to commute from though. With the Spur that connects 41 and 294, makes NW direction pretty convenient.
Budget will really drive any discussion here. I often work with relocation clients and enjoy doing the suburban tour. the areas really do have differing personalities. I am confident you will find what you are looking for up here. You are not alone in the debate- that's why a lot of urban features are finding their way to the suburbs. Let me know if you would some help in your search.
Karen feldman
email me at jmichaels@remax.net I have something that might interest you
Naperville- is a great option - we have a thriving night life. You can take the train to the city downtown. There are many communities that are walking distance to the train. Let me know if you would like me to send you some listings

Pamela Peterson
RE/MAX Action
TEL (630)803-9554
email: pamelapetersonsellshomes@gmail,com
How about other neighborhoods in Chicago?

Andersonville, West Loop, Lincoln Square, Wicker Park, Logan Square and others.

As per suburbs pick a few near ones that are along the Metra Lines or EL.
Evanston, Park Ridge, Elmhurst, La Grange

Should you need any help, feel free to contact me.
Web Reference: http://www.BJDHOMES.com
Evanston is definitely a great choice!

Some other good ideas are Elmhurst, Schaumburg, Oak Park, Naperville, Addison...

Sohail A. Salahuddin | Founder and Team Leader

Innovative Property Consultants Group | Sales and Leasing

http://www.innovativepropertyconsultants.com

Jameson Sotheby’s International Realty

425 W. North Ave. | Chicago, IL 60610 

O: 312.335.3230 | C: 312.437.7799 | F: 847.805.6030

"Extraordinary Service For Extraordinary Lives"
They are all a bit different, but Evanston might be one choice.
Each area is different. It matters if you want to go west, south, or north. I would look into Naperville, Orland Park, Schaumburg, and Lagrange.
Chicago. There is no substitute. Why limit yourself to one suburb, when Chicago gives you hub access to all of them and you could rent out the unit to move to a suburb. If you really want to move to the suburbs try some nightlife in a few.

South Loop is good for dogs, larger building have more people to spread assessment across, if you work in Chicago and move to the suburbs, you are guaranteeing a commute and lots of traffic and you may have to park to get to work.
Check out Forest Park! Great nightlife, affordable houses, walk to el or metra for an easy commute to downtown!
Thanks Laurie. I've been hearing so much about the nightlife in Forest Park. I never thought it would have a good night life. I just don't think this would be an area where I would like to live. It's surrounded by Maywood, Berwyn, and Melrose Park. :(
Flag Wed Aug 21, 2013