General Area in East Boston>Question Details

Jeff Bowen, Real Estate Pro in 02128

Are you for or against the Casino in East Boston and why are you for or against it?

Asked by Jeff Bowen, 02128 Thu Jul 12, 2012

Answers

2
Hi Jeff, I'm for it. More for entertainment than anything else. I grew up and live in Winthrop and I 'm 100% in favor. However I am skeptical that it will directly increase real estate values in East Boston / Orient Heights. I think developing the waterfront would have a better effect on values overall.
I am against it.

While casinos bring in revenue, I believe they generate lower paying jobs. I also wonder what other problems they create. You are taking money out of Massachusetts residents hands with out them receiving any goods or services of value.

Most of the money generated will be money from the Massachusetts citizens pockets. Casinos are just moving taxpayers hard earned money around inside the state for the most part. I could not find any statistics on it but I would guess over 60%-70% of the money generated will be from Massachusetts residents.

Also casinos bring crime and problem gambling to the table. Statistics show that almost 3% of the population are problem or pathological gamblers. Statistics also show if you live with in 50 miles of a casino you are twice as likely to have a gambling problem.

Lets face, casinos and lotteries exist for profit.... meaning far more people lose than win.

As a state, lets spend our time money and energy encouraging businesses that provide good paying jobs and produces valuable goods or services that are sold on a national or global level, bringing in revenue from outside of the state.