General Area in Mesa>Question Details

Mitch, Home Buyer in 85207

Are there financial benefits to buying a home with several solar panels on te roof? Each one is the size of a sheet of plywood, about 4'x8'.

Asked by Mitch, 85207 Fri May 18, 2012

They seem to be more of a maintenance headache than benefit to me. I've to generators if I need power.

Answers

4
Two questions:

1. What kind of solar panels are they, i.e. photovolactic or thermal?

2. Are the units functional or are they broken, obsolete, disconnected, etc.

When you answer these questions you will have an idea the service they provide and the approximate value of that service.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 19, 2012
Generators are great, until the fuel runs out. If the sun runs out, well, I doubt we would worry much about how the panels might not be working. Most installed home solar systems are dhw systems, producing not electricity but hot water. These types of installations are still considered the most efficient use of solar energy, however, there are some interesting developments in photo-voltaic cells and the battery technology that may portend a greater market penetration. It still boils down to cost per KWH.
Best wishes, Jim
First question is: How old are the panels? Todays panels can be the size of a 4x4 square and have more power producing ability than an 8x8 of 10 years ago. Find out more about the panels and how much wattage they produced for the current owner of the home. If they are only saving you $13 a month, is it really a benefit or an eye sore on your roof?
Absolutely! And there are now "green" mortgages available to buyers purchasing a home with extra energy efficient features in them. Buyers can qualify for more since utility bills will be less, and for the first time, appraisers can give the home a higher value for them.