General Area in Larkspur>Question Details

William Maca…, Home Buyer in San Francisco, CA

Are there different micro-climates in Larkspur (Fog, Wind, Sun, Temp) based on which neighborhood you are in? Thinking of moving there from SF.

Asked by William Macaitis, San Francisco, CA Tue Apr 3, 2012

We are thinking of making the move to Larkspur from San Francisco. Weather is very important to us.

We'd like to avoid fog and are hoping for a sunny, warm area that hits high 70's, low 80's in the summer months.

I know in SF the weather can change dramatically based on which neighborhood you are in. I've heard that Larkspur has some of the best weather in Marin.

Does it vary based on the neighborhood? If you live higher up in the hills does that effect it? Does the fog hit any neighborhoods consistently?

Thanks in advance for any guidance!

Answers

7
Hi William,
Glad to answer your question. Larkspur is one of my favorite cities in all of Marin, (it's a hard choice since all of Marin is so magical) - my husband and I used to live in Baltimore Canyon years ago, and now we live in the town just south - Corte Madera.

Yes, the weather can vary depending on the location - the canyon areas are beautiful with lush Redwood Trees and a creeklike setting, but it does tend to be darker in those areas. There are pockets of Larkspur with gorgeous sunny weather, especially on the east side of Magnolia, like Monte Vista, Meadowood, an areas called Heather Gardens and Palm Hill- and other areas as well.
In real esate, sometimes it's house by house for specific weather patterns!

Marin is full of micro climates in every city. Larkspur is tucked away in Central Marin, so the temperature and overall weather is milder than say towns in S. Marin (Sausalito, Mill Valley, Tiburon) where you are dealing with wind, fog, and cooler temperatures.

I personally think Larkspur is one of the best weather areas in Marin because of it's Central location.
The further west or norh you go, the temperature rises.

If I can be of further assistance, let me know. We are located in Central Marin in Corte Madera.

Cheers, Madeline Schaider
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Apr 3, 2012
Thanks Madeline for the great answer.
Flag Wed Apr 4, 2012
William: Larkspur has great year round weather that fluctuates slightly between the seasons, but because of the compactness of the town, the variance is minimal. We do get the fog in the summer, but it normally dissipates in late morning. Rainfall and wind are not problematic but we are located very near Kentfield which usually gets a predominant amount of rain because of the proximity of Mount Tamalpais. The sunny, mild weather usually tops out in the high 80's. Occassionally we have a surge of heat which could go above 100 degrees. If you need further information regarding home values, schools, recreation, please give me a call or text or email.

Thanks, Cecile Hawkins
Alain Pinel Realtors
385-5202
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Apr 3, 2012
HI William, the temps in Larkspur (as far as micro climates go) are fairly similar (unless you are in the redwoods, where it can be dark and misty), but otherwise, there really aren't different Micro Climates within Larkspur, but certainly are in other parts of Marin (like Mill Valley, Tiburon, Sausalito and Belvedere)

You might be interested in attending the Marin Home, Community and School Seminar I hold. I have a date coming up later this month, to RSVP or for more info, go to: I cover the micro climates as well.

http://www.MyMarinHouse.com

Liz McCarthy
415-250-4929
Liz@BayAreaRealEstateSales.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Apr 3, 2012
Hi William - My brokerage is located in downtown Larkspur and I live in Corte Madera, one town south of Larkspur. The weather in Larkspur, especially as you move west, is warmer with much less fog then Corte Madera, Mill Valley, etc. I can leave my house in the Corte Madera hills, only 5 minutes from my office, full of fog and grey and by the time I'm into Larkspur the sun is shining. The difference in that little distance is that large. The hills of Larkspur can be a bit cooler. All in all the weather, entertainement and close proximity to SF make Larkspur an excellent Marin location. All the best, Lou La Gatta.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Apr 3, 2012
Thanks Lou. That's very interesting. Do you see that the fog also hits the neighborhoods on hills in Larkspur like Chevy Chase?
Flag Wed Apr 4, 2012
Hi William,

You are correct that Larkspur has some of the best weather in Marin. Personally I love the community. The fog in Marin seems to dissipate right about the Larkspur and Greenbrae communities. Parts of Corte Madera tend to have more wind and fog than Larkspur and Greenbrae do, but that also depends upon location within the community. This is not to say there is never fog here but this area of central Marin has quite possibly the best weather. I know because I live here.

That said, it seems that areas of Larkspur are either sunny or dark. Areas of Madrone Canyon and streets west of Magnolia Ave. such as Madrone and others can be rather dark. There are nice homes in the area but the darkness can turn off some people. It is based more on the neighborhood than it is based upon how high up one might be.

If you are interested, I'd be happy to give you a tour of the area and point out the different areas so that you can understand better.

I hope this helps.

Bev Shwert
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Apr 3, 2012
Thanks Bev for the great answer.

We were also potentially considering Corte Madera. Just curious, which areas of Corte Madera tend to get the most fog or wind?
Flag Wed Apr 4, 2012
it's hard to beat Larkspur for weather. I have lived in Madrone Canyon for 25 years and love the weather but winters can be very wet. In general there aren't drastic changes and the weather is consistently pleasant. On those few hot days in the 90's and those are few, you can always go to Tiburon and cool off. It really is a jewel of a place with little fog and much beauty and weather consistency.
All of Larkspur is an excellent micro climate! You might get a little more breeze out near the bay or high up in the hills, but Larkspur and Corte Madera are Goldilocks weather: Not too hot, not too cold, but just right! In the mid 1800s, when city florists wanted to grow roses in Marin, they chose downtown Larkspur as the best weather. Period!