General Area in Oakland City>Question Details

Napoleon Wil…, Both Buyer and Seller in

Are there any redevelopment efforts taking place in West End/Oakland City? How long before it's noticable?

Asked by Napoleon Williams, Wed Aug 1, 2007

Answers

4
I believe this is a very long-term project; unfortunately, there is just a lot of mortgage fraud, vacant houses, and stagnant/declining property values in the West End. For years, there have been talks of revitalizing West End, including Abernathy and Metropolitan Parkway. The development is slow-moving and to be honest, I am not as optimistic as some of the folks below. If you drive through West End, a lot of the property and land is just dilapidated--it is a sad sight for sure--and it has a lot to do with poverty in the area. My sister has lived in West End for three years and despite the fact that she lives in the historic area, there are still vacancies all over her neighborhood. There is a lack of diversity. There is limited retail in the area--a new CVS and condo project have been the only new developments around Lowery/Abernathy that I have seen. Property taxes are high because of Fulton County, City of Atl, and false property values from mortgage fraud.

Don't get me wrong; I would greatly support (and advocate) redevelopment around these areas, especially because of proximity to the city, the great old historic homes, and in general, people deserve to live in a clean, well-cared for neighborhood. And it is a total shame that the area is not well-cared for, considering the Morehouse's campus is located there. But I do believe that it will take a lot of time for the area to turn around--and I also believe that more citizens (not just the people who live there) will need to support the effort for change.
That being said, my sister really loves living there and she has great neighbors who have lived in the neighborhood for decades; they really watch out for each other's homes and she has had very few problems living there. She plans on staying there long term and is always advocating for people to move to the area.
Web Reference: http://www.leaveittobee.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Apr 3, 2008
Thanks for your honest answer well said.
Flag Sat Sep 28, 2013
Yes. there are, but it is still slow going. On Martin Luther King, Jr there's a very large condo/townhouse community being built right next to Publix (Historic Westside Village) and across the street from the awesome Busy Bee Cafe.

A church in Oakland City (or maybe it's Vine City) has big plans to help revitalize the area as well.

Around and across from Washington Park (down the street from Ashby St. MARTA station) are a swath of nice new-ish generic looking homes that are already occupied with a few for sale.

I see a few more young-er professionals moving into the older but still nicely kept up neighborhoods off of King farther down.

Commercial-wise, it looks like it is taking longer when it comes to quality stores and restaurants, but there is and has been a plan in the works. Aesthetically though off the major thoroughfares one still needs their imagination.

Same applies for Vine City
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Aug 4, 2007
Napoleon - are you still interested in the southwest side of Atlanta?

I am.

I am so sold on the growth potential of the gently rolling hills of the Chattahoochee hill country that comprises our Southwest side.

My favorite neighborhoods are Audubon Forest and Audubon Estates northwest of Fort McPherson, and just Southwest of the Westview Cemetery.

Fort McPherson will transform in 2012 and the properties already on post offer a beautiful palate for learning, business, non-profit and other remarkable opportunities.

And, they have a sweet golf course.

And in about 2013, if you live in Audubon Forest and Audubon Estates, you can get on your bike and ride over to 3 public golf courses nearby - John White, Alfred Tup Holmes, and Fort McPherson. Many consider this course to be one of the best in the US Army, and they own golf courses worldwide.

I'm all about it.
Napoleon,
They are trying their best to get this going and slowly but surely it is. The biggest question is when the rezonings will go through. When they do proprties will statrt to move. Ft Mcpherson's closure will also have an effect.
Web Reference: http://teamrenton.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 2, 2007